Argos didn't take payment

Options
Hi,

In November a placed 2 or 3 orders with argos. They were delivered and I thought nothing of it. I'd seen at least one payment go out of my bank and 1p on hold to go out. I did lots of online shopping in November and December so didn't track it as much as I should have.

Anyway argos emailed me a couple of days ago to say they didn't take a payment for £60 and another for £40 on the 21St November and that they will be taking them on 26th February. I accept I should have noticed the payments weren't taken but I didn't.

Basically I want to know if they can just take all that money off me at such short notice? I'm sure many of you can appreciate an unexpected £100 at the end of the month isn't easy to find! So can I insist they take monthly repayments?

Also I don't know if I made 2 or 3 orders and I've checked my emails. I had no receipts from them and there are none when I log into their site. I've emailed them and asked them for receipts/ proof of my orders.

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Michelle

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi,

In November a placed 2 or 3 orders with argos. They were delivered and I thought nothing of it. I'd seen at least one payment go out of my bank and 1p on hold to go out. I did lots of online shopping in November and December so didn't track it as much as I should have.

Anyway argos emailed me a couple of days ago to say they didn't take a payment for £60 and another for £40 on the 21St November and that they will be taking them on 26th February. I accept I should have noticed the payments weren't taken but I didn't.

Basically I want to know if they can just take all that money off me at such short notice? I'm sure many of you can appreciate an unexpected £100 at the end of the month isn't easy to find! So can I insist they take monthly repayments?

Also I don't know if I made 2 or 3 orders and I've checked my emails. I had no receipts from them and there are none when I log into their site. I've emailed them and asked them for receipts/ proof of my orders.

Michelle

It's not really unexpected though, as you are £100 up at the moment!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi,

Michelle

They have up to 6 years to come and get it.

You can't insist on repayment terms, but there is no harm in asking - you aren't entitled to them though.
  • Smellycat86
    Options
    I understand what you are saying but it was 3 months ago, Christmas and several birthdays have gone by. I don't have an extra £100 just laying around in my bank because they didn't take it.. I didn't notice due to the amount of in going and out going money so it's been spent. I completely except I probably should have noticed or still have the money but I don't.

I am happy to pay them, ice had the goods but I wondered if they should offer a repayment plan in these circumstances as they are to blame too.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The general consensus is that a payment can be taken without notice up to 6 months after the date of the transaction, after that they can still take it (up to the length of time allowed in law) but should give you notice. In neither circumstance are they required to offer a payment plan. I think you've been treated pretty well to be given 10 days notice which will give you enough time to fund the account - they could have just taken it and possibly left you overdrawn.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    This is a bit swings and roundabouts. Some wouldn't necessarily notice that £100 of payments hadn't been taken, but the reason would be that's there was enough in the account that they don't have to think about £100 here or there.

It would be hard to argue that £100 is both such a small sum you didn't notice it not being deducted while at the same time being such a large sum you need time to pay it off.
  • Smellycat86
    Options
    I see how it looks. But I saved £10 a week for a whole year so I had money for Xmas and those birthdays. So lots of money went in my bank. I saved lots in the black Friday and Xmas sales so just thought my money had gone further. Again I know I'm stupid and should have monitored it better. That money has now gone and it's my baby's first birthday next week so I have less money then usual.

I don't earn a lot and I don't get paid til the 1St. Hence not wanting to pay it all in one go. I only want to slit it in to probably 2 payments.

Argos have emailed back and have said I can arrange payments and have given me a £10 voucher to compensate. They have been great, very understanding and not judgemental. More then I can say for some.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I see how it looks. But I saved £10 a week for a whole year so I had money for Xmas and those birthdays. So lots of money went in my bank. I saved lots in the black Friday and Xmas sales so just thought my money had gone further. Again I know I'm stupid and should have monitored it better. That money has now gone and it's my baby's first birthday next week so I have less money then usual.

I don't earn a lot and I don't get paid til the 1St. Hence not wanting to pay it all in one go. I only want to slit it in to probably 2 payments.

Argos have emailed back and have said I can arrange payments and have given me a £10 voucher to compensate. They have been great, very understanding and not judgemental. More then I can say for some.

If you saved £10 a week, then £100 is a whole 10 weeks worth of savings. Surely you would have therefore noticed an extra £100 that you had to spend if your budget is that tight???

A baby does not require expensive presents for a 1st birthday.

At least you only have £90 to pay if you sell the £10 voucher!! I am sure they will accept two payments, but beware if if they take it to court, as you will end up having to pay costs too.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Smellycat86
    Options
    It will not be going to court I am more than happy to pay them the money I owe. That was not what I was disputing. I ask about the notice they had to give because I wondered if I could delay it til I got paid on the 1St or split it in two payments. One on the date they ask and the other when I got paid!

No baby's do not require expensive gifts but any type of gift costs money which comes out of any spare cash I may have had.

If you recall many shops had 20% and 30% discounts around Xmas so I saved loads of money but didn't track how much.

This is the first time I've used these forums and I'm so surprised how much people feel they can judge me and my situation. I would understand if I was trying to get out of paying the money I owe but I'm not. I just wanted advice on my consumer rights.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options

Well you did ask what they could do and what you could insist on. The fact that Argos have gone well beyond what they have to do reflects well on them, but the answers were based on your question.
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    There is a lesson to take from this, check your bank statements. If you don't then you don't have full control of your finances - you're more likely to end up in debt, and you're easy prey to scammers. A stray £10 transaction each month is £120 a year, £1200 in ten years. An easy way to make lots of money from those who don't keep an eye on their accounts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure