Furniture Ombudsman

Options
Hi All,

Although I signed up a few years ago, i haven't used it since and so am new to this so sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I am after some information on what an appropriate "good will gesture" would be, basically, i brought and paid in full for Homebase to remove and fit a Kitchen, Bathroom, Toilet, Windows and Doors, I paid just over £28,000 in total, this was back in February 2015.

Since then we have had issue after issue after issue, these have ranged from

Staff threatening to Bankrupt me
Staff threatening my wife
a gas hob being fitted by an unregistered person
glass being found in my bed
glass being found in my son's bed
being forced to move out for 4 nights
amongst a lot of other things.

Homebase have made an offer of £3120.00 good will gesture and i am wondering 2 things:

is this a fair offer?
Is there somewhere i can find an average of what the Furniture Ombudsman award?

Thank you to everyone and please be nice :-)

Comments

• powerful_Rogue
    Options
    Hi All,

Although I signed up a few years ago, i haven't used it since and so am new to this so sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I am after some information on what an appropriate "good will gesture" would be, basically, i brought and paid in full for Homebase to remove and fit a Kitchen, Bathroom, Toilet, Windows and Doors, I paid just over £28,000 in total, this was back in February 2015.

Homebase have made an offer of £3120.00 good will gesture and i am wondering 2 things:

is this a fair offer?

How long is a piece of string?

Without know the full and complete details of your claim no one will be able to advise.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    is this a fair offer?
    What's fair for one person may not be fair for another, only you can realistically make that decision.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options

is this a fair offer?

From your list above, the only thing that has monetary value is having to move out for 4 nights, which you will no doubt have receipts for if you had to use a hotel.

The rest is all subjective.

Putting aside the problems you had, then assuming all the work has now been carried out to a satisfactory standard, the compensation offer sounds reasonable.

Has someone gas safe been to check the hob?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • cono1717
    Options
    The ombudsman would only make a decision based on what evidence you have and what they deem to be fair after hearing both sides of the argument. So once homebase put their spin on it combined with the possibility of hard evidence (email threats e.t.c) the ombudsman could just force them to send you a letter of apology and consider that fair. I'd take what homebase are offering.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure