Royal Mail Signed for still not delivered?

Options
I posted some documents the other day by tracked post so I could confirm that it had arrived but it's not updated 5 days later? is this common? is it likely to have been delivered but not yet updated on the tracking?

I'm a bit miffed as I'm paying a £1 extra to confirm it's been delivered...

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes it is common
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    IceColdRum wrote: »
    I posted some documents the other day by tracked post so I could confirm that it had arrived but it's not updated 5 days later? is this common? is it likely to have been delivered but not yet updated on the tracking?

I'm a bit miffed as I'm paying a £1 extra to confirm it's been delivered...
    Has the package been delivered?
    You could check that with the intended recipient.

If it has been delivered but just not been confirmed to have been delivered, then claim your £1.00 back from Royal Mail.
  • AJXX
    AJXX Posts: 847 Forumite
    Options
    Was this 1st class or 2nd class?

If it was first class I'd be concerned - I do a lot of sending/receiving via 1st class signed for and pretty much if it hasn't turned up after 4 days I can almost guarantee it'll be lost and result in a claim going in.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it was to a large business then none will be signed for. As said above have you checked with the recipient?
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In my experience it's too much trouble for some postmen to bother getting a signature
  • kazzah
    kazzah Posts: 460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    signed for items are NOT tracked and the delivery officer is NOT required to obtain a signature for the item
    the ONLY way to have guaranteed delivery which is FULLY tracked is Special Delivery - which MUST be signed for

I NEVER send anything signed for - complete waste of money in my experience
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The only thing signed for is useful for is the extra £30 compo. For anything that requires proof of delivery it is a waste of money. Proof of postage can be used as proof of service for important documents.
  • gayleygoo
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    In my experience it's too much trouble for some postmen to bother getting a signature

For posties who don't care about their job, maybe. My OH is a postie and he wouldn't risk getting fired over a signature. He'll take the extra 30 seconds to see if there's anyone home to sign. (People sometimes tell him "oh don't worry about the signature, just post it in anyway/sign it yourself!" because they think it's more convenient for him and themselves, but it's not a good idea.)

Anyway I'm not sure if Tracked mail gets signed for (though I could be wrong), it's scanned by a PDA at each point in the delivery.

Check with the recipient to see if they got it, if not then hopefully it can be found in the system!

One Love, One Life, Let's Get Together and Be Alright :)

April GC 13.20/£300
    April
    NSDs 0/10
    CC's £255
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business