MSE News: M&S to slash credit card reward points

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
9 replies 2K views
MSE_LukeMSE_Luke MSE Staff
295 Posts
Fourth Anniversary
MSE Staff
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
M&S Bank is to more than halve the number of credit card points users can collect when spending outside of the retailer...
Read the full story:
'M&S to slash credit card reward points'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• Kim_13Kim_13 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Intrepid Forum Explorer Newshound!
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't they supposed to give more notice than 14 days?
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2018 #9 ~ £19.55/£180.00
    CCCC 2018 #1 ~ £20.75/£180.00
  • jimbo_the_jetsetjimbo_the_jetset Forumite
    673 Posts
    ✭✭
    Shame, just started using my M&S credit card again after switching current account to them as well. Was looking forward to a free M&S meals.

For me, Halifax £5 reward for spending over £300 a month is the best deal (unless undertaking a large purchase)
  • 20aday20aday Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shame, just started using my M&S credit card again after switching current account to them as well. Was looking forward to a free M&S meals.

For me, Halifax £5 reward for spending over £300 a month is the best deal (unless undertaking a large purchase)

It is a shame but more credit companies will invariably follow suit now the cap on Interchange Fees has been implemented.

Sainsbury's Bank offer 1 Nectar point per £5 out of store spending so I reckon they'll be next to make changes (not unless last April's points cut was partly due to the EU ruling coming into effect).
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • planteriaplanteria Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    i thought the M&S Card deal was poor already, so now it's not worth considering.
    Their Regular Saver is the only draw to M&S Bank for me.
  • Nick_CNick_C Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    MSE_Luke wrote:
    M&S Bank is to more than halve the number of credit card points users can collect when spending outside of the retailer

Yep. I posted this a week ago ...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5409916

Incidentally, the article says "Capital One cardholders have had cashback scrapped from 1 June 2015." Some have. Some have had their cashback reduced to 0.5%. Some have had it reduced to 0.25%.

Presumably the best cards for cashback now are Asda or Nationwide.
  • Nick_CNick_C Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Incidentally, if you shop in M&S, it's a good idea to keep the card. Although the 1% cashback is matched by Santander, I find if you stop using the M&S card for a few months they will send you some really good vouchers. The ones I have currently give 10 * usual level of points, so effectively 10% cash back.
  • planteriaplanteria Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    10% is good going :)
    but though our local M&S has a good foodstore, you could slice 10% off the receipt & it still wouldn't be 'value'.
  • Nick_CNick_C Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    planteria wrote: »
    10% is good going :)
    but though our local M&S has a good foodstore, you could slice 10% off the receipt & it still wouldn't be 'value'.

It is when they do "dine in for £10".

They also sometimes do 3 for £10 on meat.

I only go to M&S for the offers. Agree they are two expensive to use for everyday shopping.
  • No_6No_6 Forumite
    835 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    It's even better value, when the OH gets an extra 20% off.
    Retired ex M&S employee :)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals