Free texts to BBC radio numbers

I sometimes text BBC radio shows on their text numbers like Radio 5 Live on 85058, Local radio on 81333, get charged about 10p per text.

Is there a way to send these free, is there an app that can do this ?

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I don't really know how short numbers work, but it could be that they are simply a short cut to a real mobile number, in which case if you could find out that number you could text it direct which should be included in your allowance. However, I've never tried this, and it would probably be pretty difficult to find the number.
  • They make good money from it, hence why you cost your opinion up before parting with it to them.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • Mr_Toad
    Mr_Toad Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    peter999 wrote: »
    I sometimes text BBC radio shows on their text numbers like Radio 5 Live on 85058, Local radio on 81333, get charged about 10p per text.

Is there a way to send these free, is there an app that can do this ?

I think the short answer is no. As said, they make money from all the texts as it's a premium service.

Short numbers don't go to a mobile as such, it's a text to email service. With that in mind why don't you just email them?

5live@bbc.co.uk
    One by one the penguins are slowly stealing my sanity.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Short codes are operated by messaging companies like firetext, they alias a 'real' number, but that 'real' number isn't usually a mobile phone in someone's pocket, but a broadcast messaging system with all kinds of integrations.

The BBC aren't making money from those texts, it's not premium rate 0898's, it's what your phone company charges for that particular shirt code access. Under the covers it's complex with multiple extra contracts, but reality is it's probably either cost neutral or a slight cost to the beeb to operate and integrate.

As above, email is free :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport