Builder - Taking forever

Options
Hi,

we are having some work done on our house. The estimate was 4-5 weeks. It's now been 14 and looks like another 1-2.

My question is can I tell him to stop and I will finish the job and paying him for what he has done so far?

Comments

• AJXX
    AJXX Posts: 847 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

we are having some work done on our house. The estimate was 4-5 weeks. It's now been 14 and looks like another 1-2.

My question is can I tell him to stop and I will finish the job and paying him for what he has done so far?

Do you have a contract with the builder?

Has the builder provided valid reasons for going beyond the estimate?
  • John_Jizzle
    Options
    Hi - there is no contract.

No reason - for past few weeks all i have heard is next week , next week
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    Really? No contract at all? How did you engage him then?
  • John_Jizzle
    Options
    it's actually the partner of a friend.

I have the estimate of all the work etc. but no actual contract
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

I suggest you speak to him and arrange a mutually agreed solution. If you don't have anything in writing, and you cannot agree a solution, then I suspect things could get very messy if you try enforcing a solution the other party is unhappy with. (For example you could find the bill for the work to date being much higher than you were expecting.)
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    it's actually the partner of a friend.

I have the estimate of all the work etc. but no actual contract

What you mean is that there is no written contract.

Which is what bod was getting at. Even if there is nothing in writing, you still have a contract. You agreed to pay him x in exchange for y. He agreed to provide y in exchange for x.

With the friend element included it becomes slightly more complicated. Is it a close friend? Are you willing to sour the friendship over it?

If they are a close friend and its likely to cause issues friend wise, I'd perhaps suggest just muddling through and keeping it for a lesson in future.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • John_Jizzle
    Options
    Yeah no written contract - just a list of everything needed doing and a price for each thing (most of which are done and just small bits dotted around needing fully finishing)

Hi - its not a close friend - more an acquaintance so no problem getting messy or losing a friend.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Typical behaviour of many jobbing builders unfortunately.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure