Healthbed memory flex mattress

We are thinking of getting one of these Healthbed memory flex mattresses seeing how well they have done in the Which report. I have heard a few negative comments though which has made me think twice.

Firsty I am quite a hot person (modest too...:D ) and my wife is more on the cool side. I am concerned I will sink into the mattress and cook while she will sleep peacefully. Has anybody any experiences with similar hot/cold combinations in couples?

Also we currently have a slatted base with a tradition mattress, we don't want to change the base, but I am concerned the memory foam may have problems with the gaps in the slats.

Should we decide to go for one of these can any recommend a reliable online shop that has good prices and good customer services?

Alternatively are there other mattresses people would recommend? We like the idea of a memory flex sort of thing (the in-laws rave about their one which is a Tempur, but that didn't do so well in the Which report).
Cheers, really appreciate any advice. :beer:

:D
"We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein

Comments

• Anybody....?

"We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • We bought the Memory Flex matress. I have a bad back and got used to it much more quickly than my husband. We both find that it feels warm especially in hot weather. Today I fitted a cotton mattress cover from John Lewis, I will let you know if it is any better.
    We have a slatted base and have no problems - the mattress isn't foam throughout the thickness - only the top layer - you can't turn it over.
    This does sound negative but I do like it and would only swap it for a really good quality ordinary mattress, it has helped my backache.
    Friends of mine bought a different make and gave up on it after one night so you need to be sure. Why not try one out in a shop,wearing minimal clothing ,far from home if necessary!
    I went through Quidco and bought from Mattressman, it came a day or two later.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    As I have said in other threads the Which magazine report is a fairly good guide for those who know absolutely nothing about memory foam mattresses, but the report does have a few flaws.

The healthbeds mattress that came top is an excellent mattress, and one of the main reasons that it won was due to the fact that Healthbeds don't try to con people by telling them 'the deeper the memory foam the better', and then charging them more for very deep memory foam like some manufacturers do. I have said over and over again in MSE that the optimum depth for the memory foam is 2" to 2 1/2". If it is less than 2" then it won't be enough to contour to your body. More than 2 1/2" and you will sink into it, will get too hot, and will struggle to turn over. The Which magazine report memtions that you experience a feeling of sinking into the foam. Well the truth is that you shouldn't really notice the feeling at all. You should only sink in until it has contoured to your body and no more.

The which magazine report also gives scores for convenience. They actually mark down the pocket sprung/memory foam mattresses because 1) they don't come rolled up and vacuum packed, 2) they are heavyer and more difficult to turn, 3) they don't have removable covers (this is because the fabric combined with the had tufting makes up part of the structure of the mattress and maintains it's shape).

The Which magazine says you should try a mattress out in a shop for up to 20 mins. Well unfortunately this will only give you a very rough idea if the mattress suites you. You won't really know if the mattress is right for you unless you have slept on it for a few nights. So find sellers who give 100% satisfaction guarantee.

You will find that mattresses that are pocket sprung/memory foam will dissapate the heat better because air can circulate under the memory foam layer.

The which magazine report also say that all memory foam mattresses are non turn. This isn't stricly true, there aren't many that are 2 sided, but you can get them.

As for Tempur.......over priced and over rated.
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,852
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    As I have said in other threads the Which magazine report is a fairly good guide for those who know absolutely nothing about memory foam mattresses, but the report does have a few flaws.

The healthbeds mattress that came top is an excellent mattress, and one of the main reasons that it won was due to the fact that Healthbeds don't try to con people by telling them 'the deeper the memory foam the better', and then charging them more for very deep memory foam like some manufacturers do. I have said over and over again in MSE that the optimum depth for the memory foam is 2" to 2 1/2". If it is less than 2" then it won't be enough to contour to your body. More than 2 1/2" and you will sink into it, will get too hot, and will struggle to turn over. The Which magazine report memtions that you experience a feeling of sinking into the foam. Well the truth is that you shouldn't really notice the feeling at all. You should only sink in until it has contoured to your body and no more.

The which magazine report also gives scores for convenience. They actually mark down the pocket sprung/memory foam mattresses because 1) they don't come rolled up and vacuum packed, 2) they are heavyer and more difficult to turn, 3) they don't have removable covers (this is because the fabric combined with the had tufting makes up part of the structure of the mattress and maintains it's shape).

The Which magazine says you should try a mattress out in a shop for up to 20 mins. Well unfortunately this will only give you a very rough idea if the mattress suites you. You won't really know if the mattress is right for you unless you have slept on it for a few nights. So find sellers who give 100% satisfaction guarantee.

You will find that mattresses that are pocket sprung/memory foam will dissapate the heat better because air can circulate under the memory foam layer.

The which magazine report also say that all memory foam mattresses are non turn. This isn't stricly true, there aren't many that are 2 sided, but you can get them.

As for Tempur.......over priced and over rated.
    Cheers Tim
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure