Unfair credit score

Options
So after being rejected for a loan from my bank I registered with both experian & Equifax to find out why.
My score came back almost perfect from experian at 977/1000

My score with equifax however is only 342 - due to an electoral role 'issue' despite the fact I have been living at my current address for over 3 years and have also provided 6 years worth of addresses previously they have me down as not being confirmed at my current address. I have now spent 9 weeks trying to resolve this issue. I have provided every piece of documentation they have requested via my electoral roll registration office (who have been brilliant) yet Im still 'not present' and Im paying Equifax £14.99 every month for the privilege of waiting for them to sort this out. First Im told it takes 6 weeks then every week since I have been either asked for further letters or documents or told it will take 6/7 days to update the system. I'm really frustrated with this now because they have me over a barrel and ive no choice but to keep paying them until it's resolved. Is this fair or just their way of making money !!
What can I do !!! Where do I complain !!

Comments

• burlington6
    Options
    Your score is meaningless.

They turned you down for another reason. Only they could tell you why.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    1) Lenders do not use the scores made up by the credit reference agencies.

2) Why the hell are you paying £14.99 a month to Equifax? For starters you can access your Exquifax credit free through Clearscore. You can also pay Equifax £2 for your statutory credit report. There is absolutely no need to subscribe to Equifax's expensive service whilst you try and sort out this address issue.

3) This address issue could be a red herring and not the reason you were rejected. Any defaults or CCJs showing on your credit files? It could also be down to affordability.
  • Clairetee
    Options
    The bank told me It was my credit score, they told me everything else was perfect. It was the lowest amount loan and didn't require any evidence of earnings etc.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The banks use their own methods to score you they categorically do not use the numbers made up by Equifax and Experian.
  • Clairetee
    Options
    I have no CCJs or defaults on credit - everything else is showing green on my reports - it's just the 'not confirmed at current address' that's causing an issue
  • Clairetee
    Options
    I can see the banks searches on the credit report, they actually made three checks within the week that I applied. I just need my score correcting, afterall it is wrong
  • Gaz83
    Gaz83 Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Clairetee wrote: »
    I can see the banks searches on the credit report, they actually made three checks within the week that I applied. I just need my score correcting, afterall it is wrong
    THE BANKS DON'T SEE YOUR 'CREDIT SCORE'.

If there is something wrong on your credit file, then write to the CRA to get them to correct it.

The bank didn't decline you based on your credit score. You don't have one.
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
  • Clairetee
    Options
    The other reason is I am soon going to be looking to move and landlords will also run a credit check - I need this to be right before I allow another check against me
  • Clairetee
    Options
    Who are the CRA please ?
    Googling it gives me numerous non related companies
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Clairetee wrote: »
    I just need my score correcting

Just tell people it's 600. No one will ever know.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure