Cuba Twin Centre

Has anyone done this?
I've looked at loads of brochures amd web sites. They all seem to offer 3 nights in Havana, with the exception of Virgin who only fly from Gatwick. we would prefer to fly from Manchester. Everyone I've spoken to says that they would have preferred longer in Havana. Ideally, we'd like 5 nights in Havana and 9 or 10 in a resort, probably one of the Cayos, but definitely one with some good snorkelling. This is for a special holiday and I'm open to other suggestions. I don't mind travelling independently and my Spanish isn't bad, but not fluent yet! We'll be going late Jan.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• No one on here done this trip?
    Can anyone recommend resorts/ hotels in Cuba?
    Thanks
  • http://www.theholidayplace.com/
    I was going to book through this company. They have 4 nights in Havana in NH Parque Central. And 10 nights in Blau Varadero. It came in at £994 pp. AI in Varedero and BB in Havana. These are rated on trip advisor as two of the best hotels available. The reviews for them is great. The flights are with Virgin Atlantic scheduled flights. The guy said we could have private transfers in a car. A massage in Varadero. An upgrade in both hotels and champagne on arrival at hotel.
    Only reason we aren't going is we are going on a cruise to Hawaii instead.
    Hope this helps.
    To win a competition gives you the spirit to carry on (Comping).
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Has anyone done this?
    I've looked at loads of brochures amd web sites. They all seem to offer 3 nights in Havana, with the exception of Virgin who only fly from Gatwick. we would prefer to fly from Manchester. Everyone I've spoken to says that they would have preferred longer in Havana. Ideally, we'd like 5 nights in Havana and 9 or 10 in a resort, probably one of the Cayos, but definitely one with some good snorkelling. This is for a special holiday and I'm open to other suggestions. I don't mind travelling independently and my Spanish isn't bad, but not fluent yet! We'll be going late Jan.
    Thanks in advance.

Some info on this thread.

We're going independantly this November with Virgin and have booked a B&B in Havana for the first 3 nights. Only going for 8 nights :( but the Virgin airfare was too good to miss (£330 ea).

See tripadvisor for B&B's etc

I see that Sol Melia do hotels at the resorts. I'm going to check them out this weekend
  • I got married at Beaches Varadero almost 3 years ago and I can highly recommend it. That was the second time I had been to Cuba and previously I had also stayed in Varadero. The hotel was the next stepdown from Sandals (both owned by the same company) and was excellent. We even had 3 hurricanes whilst we were there and the staff could not do enough to help us ( I was 16 wks preg at the time too!). If anyone would like further info pm me.:T

BTW we celebrate our 3rd wedding anniversary on 9th Sept 07:A
  • Many thanks. I'll check these out today.:beer:
  • We're going independantly this November with Virgin and have booked a B&B in Havana for the first 3 nights. Only going for 8 nights :( but the Virgin airfare was too good to miss (£330 ea).

Can't quite match your deal Blindman. Ours is £385 and we have to drive to Gatwick from the NW, tried other sites but can't beat it. Flying with Virgin we can fly out sunday, and back on a thursday, which gives us 18 nights out there, 5 in Havana, 12 elsewhere and the last 1 in Havana. I really fancy driving down to Trinidad and Cienfuegos, a bit of culture and some diving.
    Thanks
  • Would recommend holiday place, friends of ours were pleased with their service 2 years ago, you could also try captivating Cuba.
    Aim to win in 2013 - a holiday somewhere nice, New York break, treats for family & friends & some cash would be lovely!!!
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    We're going independantly this November with Virgin and have booked a B&B in Havana for the first 3 nights. Only going for 8 nights :( but the Virgin airfare was too good to miss (£330 ea).

Can't quite match your deal Blindman. Ours is £385 and we have to drive to Gatwick from the NW, tried other sites but can't beat it. Flying with Virgin we can fly out sunday, and back on a thursday, which gives us 18 nights out there, 5 in Havana, 12 elsewhere and the last 1 in Havana. I really fancy driving down to Trinidad and Cienfuegos, a bit of culture and some diving.
    Thanks

If you've not booked the Virgin flight yet (still a good price) then don't forget to

1) Go through Quidco to get 1% cahsback
    2) Sign up to their FF club, this trip will get you 4662 miles.

We're travelling from the midlands so Gatwick is only 130 miles for us.
  • mystic_trev
    mystic_trev Posts: 5,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    5 in Havana, 12 elsewhere and the last 1 in Havana. I really fancy driving down to Trinidad and Cienfuegos, a bit of culture and some diving.
    Thanks

You've obviously done your homework and I'd certainly recommend those places. Did I ever tell you about the time I was locked in a Bar, in Cienfuegos, with two Prostitutes :eek: nahh that's another story! I spent my last couple of nights in Varedero, which I thought was a complete sh1thole, full of overweight Europeans in AI Hotels. I'm not a great one for seaside resorts, but if you like that kind of thing I suppose it's OK. This was six years ago, so things might have changed by now.
  • Cheers Trev. I didn't fancy Varadero. It was just its proximity to Havana. If we do hire a car, which now seems favourite, I won't be doing the AI thing.
    Has anyone hired a car in Cuba? All the guides seem to recommend it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure