County Court /Legal Aid Debt

Options
I had the unfortunate circumstance of being remanded into custody, and needed Legal help. My solicitor had wrote to me whilst in jail, advising I would receive Legal Aid full funding.
Since the court appearance last March. I was not aware at all that I owed any money to the Legal Aid. I received a letter from Rossendales in Sept 15, advising I owe over 2.5 k for legal fees, and that if I could not afford to pay, then they would take action, I offered to pay what I could. They explained that they will take it to court to get a charging order on my property. Late last year I challenged that I did not have 30k equity in my property, Rossendales suggested I send in 2 valuations, (the county court date had already been set for january16) I emailed the valuations to them between xmas and new year, I had telephoned them asking what would happen if I was too late in sending them the valuations, and had been informed , if I can prove I don't have that equity. Then it was their problem. (recorded telephone calls as informed by Rossendales) The last correspondence from them was the Friday before court date, requiring Mortgage balance, this I emailed. The matter was taken to court and Rossendales got the required outcome. I then received a letter from their solicitors advising, removal of charging order. I also received a letter from Rossendales advising I now owe them money for their legal costs of over £350, Is this correct? I had told them that I was challenging the equity, and advised to send in valuations. Yet they still went ahead with the enforcement. I have emailed them regarding this debt. Stating that phonecalls are recorded, I am being threatened again by enforcement after the 17 feb 16, How can they charge me for their legal costs.

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 February 2016 at 6:56PM
    Options
    Why did you ignore the letters prior to rossendales writing to you?
  • wossie
    wossie Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    I did not ignore letters written to me from Rossendales , I responded straight away, I made offer to make payments, neither did I receive any letter prior to Rossendales first contact.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would be trying the legalbeagles forum or get a bit of free legal advice .
  • wossie
    Options
    I posted on Legalbeagles, had no reply, had a letter back,responding to complaint.
    Where I had asked the question, about once I had proved I don't have the equity, whose problem was the court fees, the telephone advisor said it was theirs. The letter stats that I was told incorrect information. The letter states that all recorded telephone calls have been listened to. And that the fees incurred are still going to be charged to me ????.
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    Where does the £30K come into it, you say you owe them £2.5K?

What happened between you sending in the valuations and the court date?
  • wossie
    Options
    Legal Aid is free when income is not enough, or if have less than 30k in assets. The 2.5k is for the the legal costs. Sent in the valuations 2/3 weeks before the county court date. still went to court, but since proving that I do not have assets, I no longer owe the 2.5 k, rossendales are asking me to pay for their own legal fees. As they are out of pocket. As I proved I don't have assets , therefore the 2.5 k legal funding was free. I do not owe 2.5 k.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure