Rights over faulty goods and damage to other property

Options
Hi
In November 2015 I ordered a new coat from Debenhams. I wore it for a couple of weeks before noticing that the colour was running out of the coat on to my Fitbit band and a leather bracelet I have. It also ran on to one of my bags. I washed the coat to try and get rid of the excess dye following the washing instructions. Washing it just caused the dye to run on to the faux fur trim in the hood of the coat though turning it pink.

I contacted Debenhams in December (within a month of purchase) and they asked me to take the coat, my Fitbit band and bracelet in to store so they could be tested. I did this on 22 December. I am still waiting for a response from them. I have had no refund on the coat and have chased them but they say they are still testing the coat.

I am fed up with this process now, I've had to buy a new coat and am without my other items. Am I right in thinking that I am entitled to a refund on the coat as it is faulty?

Where can I go from here?

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 February 2016 at 11:10AM
    Options
    Hi
    In November 2015 I ordered a new coat from Debenhams. I wore it for a couple of weeks before noticing that the colour was running out of the coat on to my Fitbit band and a leather bracelet I have. It also ran on to one of my bags. I washed the coat to try and get rid of the excess dye following the washing instructions. Washing it just caused the dye to run on to the faux fur trim in the hood of the coat though turning it pink.

I contacted Debenhams in December (within a month of purchase) and they asked me to take the coat, my Fitbit band and bracelet in to store so they could be tested. I did this on 22 December. I am still waiting for a response from them. I have had no refund on the coat and have chased them but they say they are still testing the coat.

I am fed up with this process now, I've had to buy a new coat and am without my other items. Am I right in thinking that I am entitled to a refund on the coat as it is faulty?

Where can I go from here?
    IF it is faulty then yes. You should also be entitled to a refund and any other consequential damage.
  • Claire_2009
    Options
    How long do I have to wait for Debenahms to come back to me with their decision about whether the coat is faulty? It has been almost 7 weeks.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How long do I have to wait for Debenahms to come back to me with their decision about whether the coat is faulty? It has been almost 7 weeks.
    That's far too long. A remedy should be provided within a reasonable time. Time to write a letter to Debenhams giving them a deadline to resolve this issue.
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It would be so much easier and quicker to just go into the store and if need be ask for the manager. It's easier dealing with issues f2f rather than going backwards and forwards with letters, emails and phone calls.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure