🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Student loan to pay off loan

Options
Hi All,

I have a quick question, I have an outstanding loan of £561 with interest of around 22%, I have just received my maintenance loan from Student Finance of £944. which I was going to just throw into a savings account.
Do you think it will be advisable to use the maintenance loan to pay of the other loan and take the early repayment hit? or should i just continue to pay £142pm until its paid off?

Thanks

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,543 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That depends on whether the "early repayment hit" is going to amount to more than the interest payable over the remainder of the loan term minus the interest you could earn from the money in a bank account.
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tyster wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have a quick question, I have an outstanding loan of £561 with interest of around 22%, I have just received my maintenance loan from Student Finance of £944. which I was going to just throw into a savings account.
    Do you think it will be advisable to use the maintenance loan to pay of the other loan and take the early repayment hit? or should i just continue to pay £142pm until its paid off?

Thanks

usually yes
    who is the loan with?
    sometimes better to pay most of it but let that final amount be paid by the DD (i.e. pay off 561-142)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport