We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Credit History Not Showing

Options
Am looking for a bit of advice. I moved to the UK in 2013 from a different country in the EU. Work full time and earn a reasonable amount of money I rented a house when I moved here and took out a car loan and an arranged overdraft. I had a decent credit history accorded to experion at the time

I recently (just before Christmas) moved to a new rented flat to save money to get a mortgage.

I immediately placed myself on the voters roll which has since been confirmed by letter.

Now I have enough money for a house deposit and am ready to get a mortgage but when I checked my credit rating it tells me I don't have enough of a credit history to create a report.

I have also tried to get a credit building credit card but was declined because I need 5 years worth of previous addresses in the UK.

I also done a soft check mortgage in principal check using all my details but was declined due to my lack of credit history and them being unable to find me on the system.

Could anyone advise me what I should do now to get myself a mortgage in the next 2 months or so and how to get my credit report to work.

Thanks.

Comments

• Superscrooge
    Superscrooge Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is your previous address shown on your credit file? If not I would suggest you get it linked as that could be why your previous credit history is not being shown?

It would be worth signing up to 'noddle' and 'clearscore' to get your free credit reports from the other credit reference agencies.

As you are looking to get a mortgage in the next two months, it doesn't give much time for you to build up further credit history.

I would suggest in your circumstances it would be worth speaking to a mortgage broker, who would be able to advise you on the best course of action.
  • bazfez
    bazfez Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    How do you get your addresses linked?
  • Superscrooge
    Superscrooge Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    See below link which explains updating address on Experian. The other credit reference agencies will be similar.

https://help.creditexpert.co.uk/help/sv635/report_guide/moved_house
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family