Getting a mortgage and then becoming mortgage-free!

Options

Comments

• Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 November 2016 at 10:27AM
    Options
    Wooop the Next refund is showing on the account at the full price we paid! As we paid for them in May/June this will come off next months bill (three large mirrors bought in the VIP sale) so £75 less to find in Novembers pay :j

Not real money saving as such but means the budget will be better for November! Handy guy is coming out today and tomorrow so hopefully the house will look like a house on Monday. Not sure when friend is coming to do the wardrobe doors so we've taken all our clothing that was in storage (whilst I lived at the gf's parents) over in tubs stacked in the corner. Two bags of eb*y stuff already identified. Will look at listing the winter stuffs a few pieces a week and then keep the spring/summer stuff for the new year!

Got a few yellow sticker items yesterday at sainsburys- turkey escalopes, a veggie pizza and a nice pork joint so they are in the freezer at the new house already. I've been reading lots of the budgeting threads for ideas, however gf doesn't want to compromise on foods. I'm hoping I can get the balance right for us so we are saving but not scrimping too much that she notices! :money:

Off to cousins later today which should be lovely- I was going to get her a bunch of flowers but checked presents box and I have a nice sanctuary gift set so will gift that to her so she can pamper herself instead :)

Have lovely weekends all! Enjoy any fireworks/bonfires and keep those little fur babies nice & safe indoors!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Kittenkirst
    edited 5 November 2016 at 6:12PM
    Options
    Visited the new arrival and the gifts went down swimmingly, my cousins little girl adored the magical unicorn and kept hugging it :heartpuls: such a gorgeous little family.

NSD today for the first time in aggggges!!

Am now home watching series 1 of the walking dead with a napping kitty & gf next to me and thinking of new goals:

1: Replenish my emergency fund savings (aiming for £1k)- May 2017
    2: Establish the Christmas budget & stick to it. (Not going into my overdraft for it)
    3: overpay £400 by end of April 2017
    4: pay off my 0% credit card before the rate changes- Sat at £1104.31 as of today- End of April 2017

That's all I can think of for now- they will all be a stretch but hoping I can reach these goals and then set new ones :think:

Any suggestions for goals or things to look at changing to help me reach them? :)
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Kittenkirst
    edited 6 November 2016 at 11:26PM
    Options
    I've joined the Ninja Saving turtles (NST) challenge just now and feeling all inspired.

Lunch packed for tomorrow- had leftover dhal from Sunday lunch so I've added rice from freezer- quick zap at lunch means a nice hot lunch :D

Christmas cake stuff bought today- Only needed dried fruits so bought the basics bags (£3 for 1kg) and added nuts and cherries from stores- it's still cooking now & smells delicious! Smells all christmassy in the house now.

Handyman has been and put the tv up in the lounge, mirror in the lounge, mirror in diner/kitchen, shelves in larder & airing cupboards. We put up the curtains in our room so it's all starting to look homely and lovely.

Planning to move in from 14th; paid 1st council tax bill (£130) and will set up the DD tomorrow.

Back to work tomorrow after 6 working days off- I have severe Monday dread going on right now :( but it's paying the mortgage and allowing me to lead a good life so game face on. Have a free ticket for a gig with a friends hubbie after work which should be ace. Will try to spend minimal amount but will buy friend a few drinks in exchange for the free ticket & lift to the venue :D
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi kittenkirst , I've just caught up with your diary and wanted to wish you best of luck in your new home :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    Thanks Newgirly! It's now definitely feeling like a home now :D

We had 12 cardboard recycling bags and 6 rubbish bags collected this morning from all of the flat packing! Wish packaging was less styrofoam really.

This week has been a bit of a downer for me, I've been struggling a lot with my new manager, I've been trying to follow the ethos of choosing my mood, choosing to focus on the good and look at opportunities to how we communicate but it all got a bit and the past few days have been a bit tearful.

Glad it's the weekend now though! A few unplanned spends this week but luckily they have been limited to small spends (a coffee before a supplier meeting, a chocolate bar on way home from work etc) so not tooooo much of a blowout!

Christmas cake all made and wrapped up for Christmas time which is fab!
    Went to the John Lewis Christmas event on Wednesday and had a good catch up with a friend over the free glass of bubbly and a few free mince pies :) only spent a little of my vouchers from work on a cutlery drawer insert so quite pleased.

Going to call my gran this evening, we ve been estranged for many years but think it's time to swallow pride and just talk, life is too short!
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options

Going to call my gran this evening, we ve been estranged for many years but think it's time to swallow pride and just talk, life is too short!
    Hope it goes well KK, life is indeed too short. At the very least you'll be glad you made the effort.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    I gave her a call and it was a short call, but steps in the right direction definitely :)
    I lost an auntie last summer who I was once very close with, we stopped talking due to some quite major family issues and I always thought I had time to make amends however she died quite suddenly.

I've been reflecting on this quite a lot and I think it's time old wounds were healed, or at least olive branches extended.

Fab sausage casserole and crusty bread for dinner tonight- proper wintery supper- followed by some catch up tv with the lady as she seen away most of the week. What a perfect wintery Friday evening :)
  • debtfreeoneday
    Options
    Glad you made some steps with your gran. Lovely supper as well, it's 8am and I fancy sausages now!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    They were tasty sausages, so good we had the other half pack for lunch in fresh baguette :D

Been to the house this morning (after my first venture to my gym in two months :o ) painted the shelves in the larder and a friend popped over to put lighting in the wardrobes so it's all finished!

Just watching American Horror story and chilling for an hour, then back over to the house for the last coat and sorting of things.

NSD today which is fab, planning to make a nice apple crumble tonight with some of those lush free apples from earlier in the autumn :money:

Dining table being delivered on Tuesday and the painter is over to tidy up the paintwork from before we moved in- need to leave Post it's on the walls where it needs doing....think there'll be quite a few post-it's :o
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    My NSD turned into a speedy afternoon in the end!
    Handyman appeared for his pay for all the work done so I'm £235 lighter now! :o

Off to London early tomorrow: gf has a social event with work and has a hotel booked so free night in London; I'm going to go for a bit of a mooch around whilst she's at the event in the afternoon and then we'all meet up for some dinner. Monday we have the day off so will go for some nice brunch and just chill out a bit in London which should be fab!

Oh and the sausage casserole was a success with gf and dad (mums veggie you see) as they'd never had it before, am glad they liked it as it's a hearty meaty dinner without being expensive.

We've been and tidied up our kitchen, putting lots of things away (pots, pans, cutlery drawer insert & utensils) and hoovered up the stairs and landing carpets plus inside the wardrobes now that they are finished.

Handyman should be popping into the house tomorrow and Monday to sand down the ceiling (where electrician cut out to pull cables to put in spotlights) and that should be all the major work completed except for the kitchen boiling water tap.

We're thinking we will take lots of clothes over on Thursday after work and maybe stay there for the first night then! Eeeeeeeeeek exciting!

Payday on Tuesday so time for the money shuffling! :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback