Getting a mortgage and then becoming mortgage-free!

Options

Comments

• Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Phew! What a week....

:www: the flooring is now all done and looks fab! The fitter has done a fab job, the camaro downstairs with a black border looks beautiful!
    The electrician came back and finished so we have spots in the lounge hall & landing.
    A plumber came out to fit the boiling mixer tap and left panicking unsure how to do it :mad:
    Sky came to sort our broadband and the guy was really helpful. The master box is now in the silversmithing room (gf didn't want wires & the box in the lounge if possible)
    Took leftover tiles back and got a £102 refund which will mostly cover the first months council tax!
    Sample tiles taken back to another tile shop too
    First sofa delivered!

The Halloween party was a success, spent all day Thursday & Friday prepping- made gingerbread bat & ghost biscuits, banana cakes with sprinkles etc. Spent some saved S*insbury's vouchers on beers etc, carved Aldi pumpkins (a kitty & the word boo!) which looked fab. I found all my old Halloween stuff out so we only bought a cheap table cloth, some spiderwebs and a few plastic pumpkins that lit up....so not too bad!

Yesterday was a bit of a write off for me though so other than going to the house and tidying, then deep cleaning it, we didn't get much done. Although we did start some Diwali prep (brother in law and family visiting for a meal today) - helped gf mum to make khundvi,, shrikand & cevo. About to get up to start making curries & sweet rotli' as they are arriving early.

signed up to yougov so doing those as they trickle in, not much earned yet but will try and do on lunch breaks etc and use the time wisely :) cashback not confirmed yet so waiting for those to come in as they maybe the first OP's whilst we continue paying all the tradespeeps to finish the house.

Left to sort:
    -ceiling to be sanded in hall, lounge & landing after spots fitted
    -several doors to be planed and rehung
    -wardrobes to be made in two bedrooms
    -bed being delivered Monday and then to make it!
    -tvs to be put into brackets on walls
    -curtain poles to be fitted
    -second sofa and dining furniture to arrive soon
    -shelving to go into the larder and the airing cupboard for storage.

Phew! Still loads to do :eek:

Best crack on and get Diwali prepping. Happy Diwali to anyone celebrating. _party_
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Loads to do, but loads done too KK!

I like YG for surveys - they're always fair, don't screen you out and are usually interesting. Reaching pay out can take a while but it's cold hard cash at the end!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• misscousinitt
    Options
    Hope you had a wonderful celebration!

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)
  • Kittenkirst
    edited 1 November 2016 at 10:31AM
    Options
    Thanks Themadvix & misscousinitt,

Morning lovelies. We have this week off work to get more stuff sorted and hopefully be ready to move in shortly.

This weekend we sorted out some curtains for the lounge with cushions, duvet cover sets and mops etc for the kitchen.
    Paid the electrician and floor fitters so now £2.5k lighter

Diwali family meal went really well, and the food was delicious :D
    We shared leftovers with some friends (Hubble is gluten free and the majority of Gujarati food is with gram flour so okay for him) :D

Awaiting the handy guy coming out to sand the ceiling (where the spots went in), put shelves in the larder and airing cupboard and put up our curtain rails.

One wardrobe went up yesterday and it looks just fab, and the bed was delivered. More wardrobes to be made and the bed put together and we'all have a bedroom. We need to order a mattress soon too.

Off to IKEA shortly to get a few pieces and we're going to have a treat of a Starbucks on way. Yum!!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    Long old day yesterday- went to IKEA to get the shelf fixings that were missing from our delivery and the basket that was out of stock when we last went.....got the shelve fixers but bought the wrong basket :(

Ended up getting a bathroom cabinet, a wheel table thing for the microwave to go on in the larder, a chest of drawers for our room and lots of other stuff..£180 and 3.5hours later We left IKEA :O

We skipped the starbucks as decided we'd use the pennies towards an IKEA brekkie - IKEA family £1.50 veggie breakfasts and free coffee was £3.30.
    Our winning item was a hotdog after shopping which we shared on the drive home with some of their hot mulled apple juice they had to sample. small wins.

Friend came over last night and we have the wardrobe frames & the inner drawers in- need the additional shelf and basket and the doors, lighting & handles on and we can start moving stuff in!:)

We have half built the bathroom cabinet- awaiting the handyman affixing to the wall so we can finish it, and we built the wheely table for the larder so got loads done. Got home at 11.30pm so we were pretty pooped last night!

Today we need to exchange the curtains (as they are too short) drop off a few bits and then to the house to try and build the bed and drawers. It's an ottoman style so not sure how easy it is to do between us both but we'll give it a go :D

I'm feeling quite under the weather at the min so will wrap up warm today and try not to rush around too much. At this rate I'll need time off to recover from our time off!

Signed up to the John Lewis open evening next week so hoping we get tickets- not been to one before but a glass of fizz for free is always nice, and we want to get two Nest Thermostats so will see if any offers :)
  • misscousinitt
    Options
    Busy busy. Hope you feel better soon.

I'd say take it easy, but I know all too well that when there are things to be done...

Good luck.

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    More building today- built a small pale green chest of drawers for our room, and built half of our Ottaman bed- it's looking fab but took us quite a while.

Was pleased as popped into Dreams whilst out doing errands- we decided on a mattress we liked- £349 in the sale. I noted down the details and then searched online for similar. Found identical for £220 from Argos (Silent night mattress) - was about to pay and thought I'd check for a discount code quickly and found one for 20% off so saved £44! It's being delivered on Monday, quite pleased with that.

Took curtains back to dunelm today and exchanged for longer size, got them home and they are huge. I think that I may have (maybe) not unfolded them fully....will have to go back and exchange again :rotfl: hopefully as getting the shorter pair I'll get £20refund too! Silver lining.

Whilst we were at dunelm we nipped into Costco to grab some matts to go under the cross trainer in the spare room (just £10!) and took advantage of the food sampling station to get free lunch!! :money:
    Some turkey crown, rib, olives, mozzarella sticks and chocolate later I didn't need lunch! ;D

Checking banking and realised council tax not yet come out- then realised we've had the bill but not yet called to set up DD. So that's a task for the morning. 13 more days until pay day so I'm hoping to stay out of my overdraft, but pay and additional £50 off my credit card (0% until 31st March)
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    Great progress with the house, bet you can't wait to move in!
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    Morning!
    Yes ETE I totally can't wait :) we finished our bed yesterday and it looks fab- really really pleased with it now it's all done.

Lots of errands to do today, but our handyman finally came over last night and started work (after three weeks of faff!) so hoping he put up the curtain poles and started sanding the ceilings. He's back on Saturday to build the larder shelves, airing cupboard shelves, put the bathroom cabinet up, put some mirrors up, plane down doors and re fit them.

Site manager came round to discuss our snagging list so the guys are coming tuesday and Friday to touch up paint, re do the French doors (which have a large cold gap at the top), sort out the outside tap and redo a door with a screw hole in it (gloss cupboards show every blemish).

Our friend is coming back to fit the wardrobe doors hopefully this weekend too so we can start moving clothes etc in :)
    Its all coming together!

Pinecone survey and yougov surveys completed this morning so I'm chipping away at those. Debating getting a weekday evening job (waitress/barmaid etc) for a little extra cash, once we're moved in I'll look into it properly as I'm really keen to enjoy life but also pay down the mortgage especially when rates are so low....
  • Kittenkirst
    edited 5 November 2016 at 10:01AM
    Options
    The second pair of curtains were taken back to Dunelm this afternoon, instead of the aubergine we got the raspberry red ones :D and returned the four cushion covers (decided these were frivolous and I'm going to make some myself before Christmas!).

Alongside this we also got curtains for our room too as we measured it out this morning, with the exchanges/refund we only paid another £30 so not too bad.

As we were over that way (literally across the road!) we nipped into Costco to see what samples they had- some pork steak, ribeye steak, Raffaelos & pancakes later we were full.

Also took back some curtains to next we bought several months ago as the girlfriend has an account they took them back without any issue...just waiting to see if they refund the full value back as they didn't mention anything about different values etc. fingers crossed that will pay for the spare room curtains we have yet to buy :)

Bought a tv for our room today using sainsburys vouchers (so kinda free really!!) so it can be wall mounted tomorrow, and got a little gift for my cousins new baby as going to visit him tomorrow, also got a little gift for his little girl too. Looking forward to baby cuddles tomorrow :D

Got the fire on tonight at home to calm the cat down, he was hiding under the bed but he's now settled in front of the fire, he jumps every now & then but it's better than the frightened stance he had earlier. Evening in tonight with the gf and parents, going to catch up on The Missing tonight as it's got quite intense!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback