Getting a mortgage and then becoming mortgage-free!

Options

Comments

• ch4rly2002
    Options
    That was very sweet of you to buy those drinks for the homeless men. I bet they really appreciated it and I'm sure that will have made them feel a lot better. It might not have been a planned expense, but that small unplanned expense might have been completely out of reach for them :) I really feel for people on the streets in this weather. A couple of local councils have been offering hotel rooms to rough sleeps recently so lets hope as many as possible manage to get a bed.

Congrats on the braces coming off tonight :) xx
    Mortgage: Mar 2018 -£300,000 / Jul 2021 -£255,000
    Student Loan: March 2011 -£18,275.04 / Jul 2021 -£10,425.28
    Joint Savings: Aim £13.5k. Dec 2016 £1,700 / Jul 2021 £36,600
    Loan to In-Laws: Sep 2010 -£48,185.82 / Apr 2019 £0
    Car Loan: Sep 2018 -£16,265 / Apr 2019 £0
    Credit Card 0%: Nov 2016 -£4,500 / Apr 2019 £0
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    What a kind thing to do KK :T.
    bought a flat white before yoga in the snow
    Em..... is it just me that wondered what kind of coffee a 'flat white before yoga in the snow' was? I reckoned the snow was whipped cream but couldn't work out where the yoga fitted in :o.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 February 2018 at 10:55PM
    Options
    Ha ha its an exotic variety dont you know :p

Its only a small thing- I have however emailed a local shelter last night to see about occasional volunteering. Will see if I hear back :)
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,913 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Great news about the braces! Hope that happens :)

Lovely thing to do for the homeless guys. It so sad that they're out there at all, but to be out in this weather is utterly disgraceful on the part of the government. Hope you hear from the shelter - I'm sure they'd appreciate your help!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• michelle09
    Options
    Well done on the pension. We have split ours - OH puts in 13% (there's no choice - 13% or nothing) and it's matched, and so I don't have a pension so that we can use the money to throw everything at fixing the house.

That was a lovely thing to do for the guys, it must have been very welcome in the current weather.

Can't be long til Australia now?
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    Ive not yet heard back from the shelter but my friend who volunteers there has said they have had a lot of volunteers since Christmas which can only be a great thing.

The braces are off! Im not going to lie as it was pretty painful and required a lot of deep breathing, blood and clenched fists but hurrah they are off and the wire retainer is in place on the back. Im very very pleased with how they look now :D

We were a bit naughty and had a celebratory Chinese- managed to limit our spend to £17.20 which is good for us and was more than enough food- we just usually get pretty excited and over order so I was quite pleased with us.

Ive overpaid the 80p to the Mortgage which finishes off February. We have overpaid £260.14 :D yay!!

Had a long day out on the road today and so am home with a nice cuppa warming up after all the snow that!!!8217;s come down! Hope you are all warm and safe wherever you are x
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    Michelle- that sounds like a very good plan you guys have- definitely something for us to consider once the flat has gone :)

Australia is not until September so something like 200 days to go, which means plenty of time to save up for all the remaining expenses (internal flights, hotels etc) we have a little checklist of things to do and have now had our passports back (tick one) and completed first swims (tick two). Next thing is confidence in swimming and the kayaking taster.
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sounds like braces have worked well even though you only had them a short time.

You are so organised kk, wish I had your motivation.
    May 2024 - part 1 - £29,628 part 2 - £24,612 Total - £54,240 42 months to go!
  • Kittenkirst
    edited 2 March 2018 at 9:04AM
    Options
    Today has been a longgggg day, which started with naughty Hugo bringing an alive bird into the house at 5am. I ended up trying to shoo it out of the window, but couldnt get it to safety. Ended up shutting it in a room (so cats couldnt torment it) and going in at 7am with my glasses on and a towel to try and cajole it out. It finally flew out at 7.30am looking to be okay.

Hugo was smeared in a little blood and downstairs was covered in feathers. Im sincerely hopeful that its a little bit of cosmetic damage and is alright, poor little thing! :o

Played with the overpayment tab on my spreadsheet today and we getting excited about the numbers. We should be under £160k by 15th April :D how exciting is that!

Was desperate to find out the interest applied to the acct today but given the snow Ive decided to wait as if the bank have staff in they probably have more urgent people to assist.

The snow here is pretty thick now and our road is a bit of an ice rink. Indeed the hire car company havent collected my car from yesterday- I think it will be here all weekend.

My mouth is still very sore and there are a few ulcers and small cuts on my lips. Taking paracetamol manages it though so its not too severe really.

Oscar is snuggled up by my feet, not sure where Hunter Hugo is!
  • Kittenkirst
    edited 3 March 2018 at 1:01PM
    Options
    The poor little birdie made a reappearance last night- Oscar came scampering through to the front room with an excited Hugo in tow with the bird in mouth.

It has now had a little ceremonial burial out in the snow in the back garden- poor little thing. Weve ordered some new collars with bells on for them both to see if that will help reduce the amount of little burials we have to conduct.

Meant to be off to a pamper party at yoga today but the snow has come down quite heavily last night- so much so that the WiFi is off for Sky in our local area. Will keep an eye on social media to see id it I s still running- quite looking forwards to 90mins yoga, eyebrow threading, nice supper and mocktails though so fingers crossed the stars align :heartpuls

Made a cute photo yesterday using an app called WordSwag- downloaded a 2018 calendar from Pinterest and then have overlaid the monthly payments over it- looks pretty snazzy and hoping by adding to it monthly itsanother little motivator to keep up the tilly tidies and the survey efforts.

Hope everyone is faring well in the bad weather- if we get out to yoga we are planning on calling in on gfs parents elderly neighbours on their road to see if they need any supplies etc theres a few lovely couples on their street and whilst Im sure they are probably more resilient than me itd give me peace of mind.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback