£2600 for new bathroom????

just bought a new house but bathroom needs some work!

quote was £2600

Remove tongue and groove panelling from ceiling
Remove Wall tiles
Remove laminate flooring
Remove shower tray, hand basin, toilet
fit new spotlights into ceiling and plaster skim
fix new wall tiles (floor to ceiling)
fix plywood to floor and tile floor
connect and install new bath,toilet,hand basin with pedestal

room size is 1.8m x 2.3m

We will be supplying the whole bathroom suite and the floor and wall tiles.

we live in north london/essex

We have emailed him back asking if this could be reduced....he has replied saying he would take off £400 if we remove the tongue and groove ceiling....and also take off £300 if he only half tiles the walls

any ideas on the price
thanks in advance!

Comments

• Have you only got the one quote? He might be cheaper, might be pricier than others. Make sure any tradesman you use is registered as well - my local council was very helpful with advice.
    Got £820 back from HSBC! Now entering comps like mad with the hope of winning a nice long holiday....
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The idea for you to do the remove as much as you can, is a good idea - not much skill needed there!

& do you REALLY need tiles over ALL the walls? If they are to be skimed, painting would be cheaper & look as good, if not better - choose the wrong colour/patern tiles & the room looks smaller!

& is he getting rid of the rubbish - a skip is £200ish, I'd think, where you are.

Did the bathroom supplier offer a quote to fit? When we asked B&Q they wanted £3500 & that was only remove old & fit new, so no other work in that price!!

Might be accurate for your area & a proper job.

& don't forget VAT, make sure it's not sneaked on after!!

VB
  • My bathroom is roughly the same size as yours and I paid £1900 for the work and the sanitary items, silver items and lights, underfloor heating plus the tiles came extra.

I live in SE London.
  • Get up to 5 quotes is all I can say and listen to what the builder tells you as some talk pure crock to fleece you of your money.
  • darich
    darich Posts: 2,145 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Like others have advised, get a few more quotes.
    I just had my bathroom done by a builder who did my bathroom at my last property a couple of years ago.
    Back then, he charged me £1250 to fit all the tiles (2.5 walls plus floor) and remove a false wall i didn't know was there. He then boxed in the toilet waste pipe and tiled that. Boxed the bath in and tiled round that too.
    Toilet, basin, bath, tiles, shower and screen were all supplied by me but he fitted everything.
    It's a couple of years on so my gut feeling is that your price is a possibly a bit high.

Be aware that he may not skim the walls - my builder much prefers to secure gyproc onto the walls and give that a clean/brush down so it's ready for painting. Downside is that you lose a small amount of your room eg 50mm per wall but the upside is, it's faster, cleaner and doesn't need a week to dry.

He's just finished my new bathroom which is mich bigger but hasn't given me a bill yet. Less tiling in my new one - I'm expecting a bill around the £2k mark.

Keen photographer with sales in the UK and abroad.
    Willing to offer advice on camera equipment and photography if i can!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure