We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Apples can we use them??

Options
We have had an apple tree for about 20 years but up till this year we only had around 5 small apples on it!!

This year however, there are hundreds:j! The problem is they are small to medium sized and all have scarring/brown marks on. Now the thing is are these apples ok for juicing or will there be bugs :eek: inside!

:confused: Any ideas folks?
Growing old is manditory, Growing up is optional! :j

Comments

• Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Chop one up and have a look?

I guess you could cook with them even if they were 'buggy' - perhaps some apple/blackberry jelly is in order - you strain the juice, so any bugs would be a) dead and b) not in your food! The high temperatures should kill any germs.
  • ethansmum
    ethansmum Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    Options
    My Mums trees produce alot of 'marked' fruit- all perfectly fine to eat. The ones with bugs in, will have a little black hole usually at the stalk or flower end, and you'll see little black 'sawdust' coming out. ( This is probably worm poo!! LOL) I just cut that bit off, the rest of the apple is fine for stewing :)
    July Win: Nokia 5800
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport