anyone any views?

my son is thinking of using http://www.laptopguard.co.uk/home.asp to insure his laptop - £40 is a good price so is it a decent insurer? would they mend the laptop or do they just replace when its fully broke? never used before so not sure how it works - do they only ever mend once and then you need new policy or is ongoing no matter how many times for the full year?

thanks

Comments

• Hi,

If you have home contents insurance why dont you add it on to this policy.

Your can add a cover on called Personal Possessions and just ask your current insurance company if you need to ''name the laptop'' on your policy.

In my experience it probably wont cost as much as this and it will be new for old cover.

Re: The link you gave. The insurers include UK Underwriting, AXA and Hiscox Insurance , all reputable companies. If the laptop is over 18 months old the cover is NOT new for old which is not really good because most home insurers provide new for old cover as standard which means that if you have an older laptop, as long as you insure it for the amount you bought it for, then you will get the new equivalent of the model if you need to replace it.

There is a minimum claim amount of £100 which means that although they SAY there is no excess, you cant make a claim for less than £100 damage (which is really like an excess!) Also their small print actually says accidental damage IS subject to an excess of £100 so I would question this.

They would probably try to mend the laptop first but if the damage is under £100 you would have to pay for accidental damage (if you read the insurers small print) . I cannot see clearly on whether you would be able to claim one but it wouldnt surprise me if this was the case.

In my honest opinion, try to look to your own home insurance for laptop cover, or if your son is studying he will be able to add it to his policy. Email me if you want any more information .

Hope this helps.

Maz
  • magoogy
    magoogy Posts: 2,961 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    thanks so mch for your help - i never did read the small print - just saw the no excess..... i will try put it on my house insurance - will need to look at my policy and ring them....thanks....
  • magoogy
    magoogy Posts: 2,961 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    my home insurance has an excess of £100 so thats no good either - will keep looking

thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport