Which SSD from this 480GB / 500GB list?

Options
I'll be buying from somewhere like eBuyer or Scan
I currently have a Samsung SSD 830 256GB drive, but it's gotten fairly full. I am around only 30GB of free space remaining, so was considering a new drive.

I went on to eBuyer & saw:

500GB: http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Storage/cat/Hard-Drive---SSD/500GB
480GB: http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Storage/cat/Hard-Drive---SSD/480GB

There's a lot more choice for the 480GB. All with varying prices. I don't want to jump to the 500GB just because it's 20GB more because with the extra space either will provide i'm pretty sure i'll now have enough between this & my hard drive.

So which to choose & why?

Comments

• pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    umm , what type of machine is this fitted in , laptop or desktop ?

I think you may be misunderstanding the correct reason for fitting a ssd drive
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,019 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 February 2016 at 1:36AM
    Options
    Ssd unually use as boot drive. Can you fit second hdd for storage?
    What motherboard have you got?
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As already mentioned, if you have room for another hard drive, what about using your old one?
    Otherwise, I'd be looking at buying an external portable drive which will give you far more space at a much cheaper price.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Slimline-Portable-Hard-Drive/dp/B008PABFX8
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Options
    I agree. I use a 250gb SSD drive for all the programs and 1Tb standard drive for storage.

I have plenty of space on the SSD and you can keep adding storage externally if you run out.

Of course the OP might have filled the SSD with programs...... In which case.... back to the original question of which one to get. TBH I have no idea

Fast too
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    There is very little 'stored' on the SSD. My HDD is used for 'storage'.

The idea is to have another OS I have installed on this one which is barely used & have a bigger one in place of this one. The other OS is currently on a 60GB SSD & I'm down to my final 2GB on that drive.

Fitted in a desktop.
    Motherboard off the top of my head is an Asus one.
    I built the machine about 5yrs ago.
  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,810 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    There is very little 'stored' on the SSD.

I'm not sure if you have more than one OS and associated program files on the SSD, but if it's taking up 220GB of disk space then surely something is wrong? You would normally not expect a root partition to take up much more than a few tens of GB (the one on this PC is only 7GB, but it's not running Windows).

Have you checked using one of the disk space usage utilities to make sure that System Restore or something else is not wasting large amounts of disk space for no good reason?
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    I wouldn't know how to do that to be honest.

Do you have system restore turned off if you have a SSD?
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OP , SSD drives are for keeping your operating system and programmes on , all data is kept on other drives , a 250 g ssd takes about 15-20 gig with win 10 and office etc loaded , hell I even have a machine running win 10 on an old 30g ssd.

Linux and other operating systems will not take more space than windows , so you could easily get 5 or 6 OSs on a 250 gig drive , I might just try it after!

as pointed out to me by niftydigits (I think) run windirsat https://windirstat.info/index.html and see where you disk is being used
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Although I agree with the general idea that you don't need a huge SSD as it's only really beneficial in terms of speed for storing the OS and large programs, meaning you can keep many other files on a cheaper, mechanical disc, it should also be noted that the read and write speeds of SSDs tend to increase quite a bit as their capacity goes up. Also, a quick browse on ebuyer suggests that the ~250gb SSDs are barely cheaper or comparable in price to the 480gb ones anyway.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    Can i ask....

Is there a problem with also storing things on the SSD drive?

I get the distinct impression there appears to be. I'd like to know more about why this is a problem though.

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport