Hotels and credit cards

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
4 replies 655 views
WCN87WCN87 Forumite
144 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
Staying at the Hilton for 5 nights all prepaid by the company, as soon as I order room service someone from reception calls me because I haven't got a credit card associated to the room. So I give her the details then realise that I only have £400 left on the card. I'm in the process of applying for a mortgage so don't want it to have a detrimental effect, does anyone know what and or how much they will hold? Surely if they try and hold more than what's on the card it will decline or fail?

I don't mind the fact it's being held but don't want it to have a negative impact on my credit report

Replies

• TadleyBaggieTadleyBaggie Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Simple, don't use room service.
  • nohnoh Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ask reception for the amount they have pre authorised. They are the only ones that know!
  • SnowTigerSnowTiger Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you have online or telephone access to your credit card account? It may appear as a pending transaction or you could work it out using the balance and available credit figures.

Even if they've put a hold on your account for £1,000, it's not a real transaction and you won't be penalised for going over your credit limit.
  • WCN87WCN87 Forumite
    144 Posts
    SnowTiger wrote: »
    Do you have online or telephone access to your credit card account? It may appear as a pending transaction or you could work it out using the balance and available credit figures.

Even if they've put a hold on your account for £1,000, it's not a real transaction and you won't be penalised for going over your credit limit.

Thank You SnowTiger for a helpful response appreciate it. I've just got back and spoken to a member of staff and it was just £20 apparantley I did have a look on my online banking and couldn't see anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals