NOW OPEN. The MSE Forum's energy-themed Ask An Expert event is open for questions. Visit the dedicated board to ask MSE Gary & MSE Andrew about gas & electricity

Hotels and credit cards

in Credit cards
4 replies 655 views
Staying at the Hilton for 5 nights all prepaid by the company, as soon as I order room service someone from reception calls me because I haven't got a credit card associated to the room. So I give her the details then realise that I only have £400 left on the card. I'm in the process of applying for a mortgage so don't want it to have a detrimental effect, does anyone know what and or how much they will hold? Surely if they try and hold more than what's on the card it will decline or fail?

I don't mind the fact it's being held but don't want it to have a negative impact on my credit report

Replies

• TadleyBaggieTadleyBaggie Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Simple, don't use room service.
  • nohnoh Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Ask reception for the amount they have pre authorised. They are the only ones that know!
  • Do you have online or telephone access to your credit card account? It may appear as a pending transaction or you could work it out using the balance and available credit figures.

Even if they've put a hold on your account for £1,000, it's not a real transaction and you won't be penalised for going over your credit limit.
  • WCN87WCN87 Forumite
    144 Posts
    SnowTiger wrote: »
    Do you have online or telephone access to your credit card account? It may appear as a pending transaction or you could work it out using the balance and available credit figures.

Even if they've put a hold on your account for £1,000, it's not a real transaction and you won't be penalised for going over your credit limit.

Thank You SnowTiger for a helpful response appreciate it. I've just got back and spoken to a member of staff and it was just £20 apparantley I did have a look on my online banking and couldn't see anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

The Forum 'Ask An Expert' event

Ask your energy questions by Wed 5pm

MSE Forum