pension payment protection

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
4 replies 543 views
jemstonejemstone Forumite
4 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
Any advice welcome.
I've just been looking through my pension papers and realised i am paying a payment protection insurance.
I was a few years back paying in £2000 a month. I was led to believe this insurance would cover me incase of an accident and i couldn't work (i'm self employed) I then got injured, couldn't work, investigated about getting my payments covered and found out that i was paying about £40 per month to cover me for only up to £300 a month. The insurance was provided by a separate insurance company (i.e not the pension company) and was set up using a financial adviser who a few years later we found out the firm had folded.
My question is - do i have a case to claim anything here? Thanks

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    My question is - do i have a case to claim anything here?

No.
    Its not PPI. It is waiver of premium (sometimes called waiver of contribution). It is long term insurance offered by life companies (unlike PPI which is short term insurance offered by general insurance companies).

It used to be very common and the "best advice" position was to recommend you have it every time. However, over the years, products became unbundled and non-life companies got into pension distribution and they couldnt offer it and pensions turned from being an an old fashioned insurance company product to a modern administration platform instead.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Thanks. Very informative. That helps. Do you know if PPI may have been sold with a mortgage from halifax or leeds building society?
  • Delete33Delete33 Forumite
    802 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it may have been, send letter and ask.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    jemstone wrote: »
    Thanks. Very informative. That helps. Do you know if PPI may have been sold with a mortgage from halifax or leeds building society?

Quite possibly. MPPI was a popular product and remains so today. It is one of two types of PPI still retailed as it does not suffer the same level of issues that loan and credit card PPI does.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals