PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Question of Locks - LL obligations

Options
BTL purchased Dec 2105
Tenant moved in Friday

I got a text last night, (sat) although I didn't see until this morning. I quote :

Sorry to be a pain, and messaging you again but I was just wondering if the locks were definitely changed from the last tenant? There was a woman with a key she sounded like she was trying to put a key in the lock of the front door and then by the time we Got our key in the door to see what she was up to she was walking briskly down the road. Other than that no problems and are all settled in. J & S.

Not sure what to say to that. No the locks were not changed. I just got Timpson to make 2 copies. Have you phoned the police ? Last person in the house moved out in May 2015 according to council tax office.

Comments

• theartfullodger
    Options
    Apart from anything else YOU probably want YOUR insurance to pay out & if there's entry with no force & evidence (you just quoted it) of someone else having the keys they probably won't: Place burns down, total loss of building & contents, no payout when you claim, you stuffed.

In your shoes I'd change the locks: I usually do so anyway on change of tenant.

Further, HHSRS has this so there is legal concern...
    ENTRY BY INTRUDERS
    This hazard is concerned with keeping a dwelling secure against unauthorised entry
    and maintaining its safety.
    Health effects
    These include mental harm/stress/anguish (emotional impact after burglary affects
    more than 75 per cent of victims). The worry and fear of being burgled tends to be
    caused by knowing people who have been burgled and by publicity about crimes
    (assessed as Class IV harm). Injuries where the victim is attacked by the burglar
    (aggravated burglary).
    Causes
    • Location – where local area has high levels of poverty and crime;
    • Poor lighting around dwelling area;
    • Doors and windows – poorly constructed/fitted/in disrepair/inadequate locks;
    • Lack of viewers to external doors;
    • Lack of/broken security chains to external doors;
    • No caretaker/entry phone system to block of flats; and
    • Lack of/defective burglar alarm systems
    Preventive measures that can affect likelihood and harm outcomes:
    • Design of estate/area around dwelling to reduce hiding places, as far as
    possible (e.g. fences etc.) for burglars and intruders;
    • Well-lit and defined pedestrian routes;
    • Dwelling made safe against unauthorised entry so as to delay and deter
    intruders and make the occupants feel safer;
    • Window locks/dead locks;
    • Security lights/indoor grilles; and
    • Spy holes/chains on entrance doors.
    Hazard assessment
    Links level of physical security features at dwelling to local overall crime rate. Fear
    of crime as well as risk of actual burglary should be taken into account.
    Note: Balance has to be made between security risks from other hazards, e.g.
    locked doors and windows and means of escape in the case of fire.
    What about flats and HMOs?
    Concierge, caretaker systems and entry-phone controls have been found to reduce
    crime/fear of crime.
    Assessment should look at whole building security as well as that between
    individual residents of the same building.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    evidence (you just quoted it) of someone else having the keys

I read the OP as evidence of somebody else trying a key which doesn't fit...
  • Prothet_of_Doom
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    I read the OP as evidence of somebody else trying a key which doesn't fit...

Indeed. 99% likely that someone tried the door, to see if there was a handbag just inside rather than actually having the actual key.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would certainly have changed the locks - it's cheap, secure and quick. I routinely change the barrel of any Yale latch on a rental (have a box of spares, so they do just get rotated).

Is it your obligation to do so? Probably not. However, you are protecting your property, not just the tenant's, you are helping the tenant (who appears decent from the text) and, if you don't and tenant does, they may not give you a key AND keep their new lock on leaving, so you are back with locks yet another tenant may have copied.

I'd change them, keep the old, and cycle them. If you had to have more keys cut, it's likely you didn't get them all back.
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Indeed. 99% likely that someone tried the door, to see if there was a handbag just inside rather than actually having the actual key.

No. The T was definitely questioning if the locks had been changed which deserves an honest answer. Get it done before anything more serious happens!
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Your answer should be "I'm getting it done asap" and follow through.

Your BTL was void for several weeks you were open to squatters all that time.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    To whom did the previous tenants give their keys?

Answer 1: Butcher, Baker, Candlestick maker.
    Answer 2: You don't know.

So as far as you know, anyone in your town, county, world has the keys to your property, and knows what property the keys are for.

I would ask the current tenant to change the locks at my expense, keep the barrels and put them back after they move out.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,180 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 January 2016 at 12:04PM
    Options
    I got a text last night, (sat) although I didn't see until this morning. I quote :
    Sorry to be a pain, and messaging you again but I was just wondering if the locks were definitely changed from the last tenant?

Not sure what to say to that. No the locks were not changed. I just got Timpson to make 2 copies.

There is your answer.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 31 January 2016 at 1:05PM
    Options
    good grief!

What a question!

Just change the lock. It'l take you half an hour (plus travelling time) and cost £5 - £20 depending on the lock (plus £3 for a screwdrive if you don't have one).
    DaftyDuck:I would certainly have changed the locks - it's cheap, secure and quick. I routinely change the barrel of any Yale latch on a rental (have a box of spares, so they do just get rotated).
    Ditto.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,292 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If it's a Yale lock, she might have been trying to "bump" it (though she'd also need to strike the key with something).

http://www.walkerlocksmiths.co.uk/blog/the-truth-about-bump-keys-and-bumping-locks/

Worth spending a few more quid on a more robust lock IMO.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport