Bank of Scotland

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
3 replies 642 views
[Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
0 Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
After several successful claims against BOS for previous loans, they seem unwilling to uphold any credit cards that were either applied for online or Flyer.

Long story short, I put in several claims for loans which they couldn't have been more helpful, I filled in their form and weeks later they paid out.
However
With the credit cards ones I again filled in the forms BUT this time they contacted me by telephone and asked questions. I did feel at the time they were asking leading questions or trying to catch me out. These claims came back unsuccessful. I did contact them again saying about the type of questioning and that thru work I would have had 6 months full pay then 6 months half pay and being young I wouldn't really need PPI. They said because I ticked the boxes more or less meant the decision was on their side. But they never took into my second complaint of leading questions they telephoned again asking the same questions as the first time.

I am now thinking if their policy is Loans pay out but credit cards thru online/Or application form they will always say no.
I cant even remember if there was a cooling off period for the PPI on the application form ?.

anyone have similar thoughts

kindest regards
Douglas

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    If you applied online or in writing then you cannot have been mis-sold because no bank staff were present to do so. If you purchased an unsuitable insurance then you mis-bought rather than were mis-sold.

This is nothing to do with credit cards, by the way. Any financial product bought this way is only very rarely adjudged mis-sold.

The only exception is where there was a pre-populated box selecting PPI which the customer had to actively de-select and could easily miss. Many banks did employ this tactic, so worth checking if yours did at the time of your PPI sales. However, as the Bank have already rejected your complaints it's very unlikely yours were affected by this.

You have no complaint either about "leading questions", remember that your complaint is about mis-selling-not the manner in which your complaint was handled and you'd have a hard time making a convincing argument that the Bank were trying to "catch you out".

Finally there will definitely have been a cooling off period, this is not something I've seen anyone successfully complain about.

Well done on your loan PPI successes, unfortunately your credit card PPI does not appear to have been mis-sold.
  • thanks for that, appreciate your time for replying
    regards
    douglas
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I did contact them again saying about the type of questioning and that thru work I would have had 6 months full pay then 6 months half pay and being young I wouldn't really need PPI. They said because I ticked the boxes more or less meant the decision was on their side. But they never took into my second complaint of leading questions they telephoned again asking the same questions as the first time.

What questions did you have issue with?

If you make allegations of wrongdoing then they are required to investigate and look at the available evidence. Often this means coming to you for further information of evidence. Especially where their own files dont show the failure you refer to.

They are not going to raise a new complaint because you feel the questions asked on the complaint are not appropriate in some way. Most of the questions they ask are similar to the ones the FOS ask on their form.

As it was a non-advised sale, they do not have to consider sick pay (as mentioned above).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals