Housing Benefit as joint tenant, but on PIP/ESA

I am wondering what type of housing benefit my mother is entitled to.

She is disabled on PIP (Care and mobility) and ESA (the top group).

At present she rents her home for which she receives full housing benefit. She is the sole tenant on the tenancy.

We are thinking of moving in with my mum, but are unsure how her benefits will be affected if I go on to the tenancy agreement with her, becoming a joint tenant.

If I don't go on the tenancy, she will receive full housing benefit no matter how much I earn. My question is how would this change if I was added on to the tenancy? Would she then receive 50% as she is then only responsible for 50% rent?

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• emmsie123
    emmsie123 Posts: 188 Forumite
    There is no non dependant deduction if mum is on pip.
  • FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    So even if I am a joint tenant on the tenancy agreement, she will still get 100% of her housing benefit?

Does it change if my partner is moving in as well?

I just assumed she would get 50% and then I would pay the remaining.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    no ... if you are a joint tenant, you would also have rent liability.

your income is only disregarded if you a a non dependant rather than a tenant in your own right
  • FutureGirl
    So it IS as I thought then.

If it is me and her on the tenancy, she will get 50% of her entitlement?
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    yes. because you both would have liability
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Mmmmm

I would wait for HousingBenefitOfficer to read this thread as I am not sure that the shared rate of HB is correct (different from half the rent) and is what your mum would be entitled to.

Have tried to find the legislation but can't make sense of it. Something about being in the same household?

So HBO has all the information - do you recieve Carer's Allowance for your mum? Is the accommodation rented through a private landlord or through a council/housing association property? How many bedrooms?

HBO will be able to tell you whether your best option is to be added to the tenancy agreement or be her non dependants (no non dependant deductions from her HB as she is on PIP)

Is there a particular reason you need/want to be added to the tenancy agreement? Has the landlord agreed to this or is this a new rental property?
  • FutureGirl
    edited 30 January 2016 at 6:10PM
    It will be a new rental property. It will be a 3 bedroom house.

I believe if we're non dependents she would be entitled to a 2 bed rate, but if I'm on the tenancy she'd be entitled to shared person rate?

I don't receive carers allowance, I earn more than £110 per week.

There is no particular reason for me being added on to the tenancy, no.

Thanks again.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If you're all named on the tenancy agreement then she's liable for one third of the rent and will get that paid in full by housing benefit as long as the amount claimed is reasonable. What you earn doesn't matter. You are liable for your third and your partner is liable for their third. However, if any of you don't pay your respective share the landlord can ask any one of you for the whole rent as you all are jointly liable to pay all of the rent.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    I'm not well up on the ESA rules but is there a possibility the mum could be getting the SDP, which she'd lose if not living alone?
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • FutureGirl
    No, she doesn't get SDP at the moment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business