2nd credit card

Options
2»

Comments

• desthemoaner
    Options
    Forgive my intervention, but I'm fascinated to hear that having a credit card but not using it might have a negative effect on one's credit score. I have a Cap One card with a hundred quid on it, and a Barclaycard that I haven't used for over 12 months.
    I'm now wondering whether I should make a small purchase on the B'card so that I don't plummet into the credit score doldrums. Is that really likely?
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    ... I'm fascinated to hear that having a credit card but not using it might have a negative effect on one's credit score.
    Where did you hear this?
    I have a Cap One card with a hundred quid on it, and a Barclaycard that I haven't used for over 12 months.
    I'm now wondering whether I should make a small purchase on the B'card so that I don't plummet into the credit score doldrums. Is that really likely?
    I don't think that this is needed, but it can, possibly, have some small positive effect (that isn't the same as a negative effect if not used).
  • chuckley
    chuckley Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    never rely on one CC, it WILL fail.
  • desthemoaner
    Options
    Grumbler: "Where did you hear this?"

I was referring to to your quote above in response to the OP, where he or she said: ... "will keeping my Aqua card, but it not being used, have a bad effect on my credit rating?"

to which you said:"No, unless its limit is very big (unlikely for Aqua)."

It was the use of the word "unless" which indicated to me that not using a card could negatively affect one's credit rating.

Did I misinterpret your response?
  • Gouki7851
    Options
    I believe grumbler meant if you have a high credit limit to income ratio this can negatively affect your credit worthiness. But as aqua do not give high limits this is unlikely. Not using a credit card will not have a negative affect , unless the issuer lowers the limit which may make your utilisation of credit higher, which could have an effect.
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    chuckley wrote: »
    never rely on one CC, it WILL fail.

i wouldn't agree with that. i have had anywhere between 3 and 24 in the past few years, but i am careful. for many people using 1 card for spending and repaying in full each month is a great little system. and if they can carry a debit card in their wallet too, just incase, they could well be in a good position.

if it wasn't for stoozing, i would happily just have my Amex Cashback and spend on a debit card in the occasional place that doesn't accept Amex.
  • desthemoaner
    Options
    Gouki7851 wrote: »
    I believe grumbler meant if you have a high credit limit to income ratio this can negatively affect your credit worthiness. But as aqua do not give high limits this is unlikely. Not using a credit card will not have a negative affect , unless the issuer lowers the limit which may make your utilisation of credit higher, which could have an effect.

Right, I see. Thanks for clarifying that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure