Reclaim interest and charges for forgotten old account

Options
Hi, I have an account with Barclays that I haven't used for 4 or 5 years.

It is a joint account between myself and an ex partner. The address on the account should be the one she lives (lived) at.

I found an old statement from 2 years ago that said the account was £50 in arrears so I thought I'd give them a ring to pay off this overdraft and close the account. However they tell me the amount is now over £400 with all the charges and interest gathered.

Neither I nor my ex partner have ever received a statement or letter for this account since 2014. If I would have I would have paid off this amount instead of incurring charges.

How can I get the charges waived? I do not mind at all paying back the £50 overdraft I legitimately used but feel it is unfair that they have not communicated to us at all of these charges.

I phoned them and they said they can offer a £25 good will discount. They also said they have been sending letters, which we haven't received at any of the addresses we have lived at.

Comments

• tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    Did either of you notify the bank of your change of address, and can you evidence this?
  • mark1978
    Options
    My ex partner must have notified them of her change of address when she moved in about 2010, I will ask her about what evidence she has of this but she received a statement for her current account with an 'at a glance' view of all of her Barclays accounts in 2014 that had this joint account on it.

Mysteriously the joint account no longer shows up on in this 'at a glance' bit.

I left Barclays and moved to another bank around the same time, I closed my current account and forgot about this joint account. When she received this letter in 2014 she just assumed I had incurred the -£50 and was dealing with it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    mark1978 wrote: »
    When she received this letter in 2014 she just assumed I had incurred the -£50 and was dealing with it.
    So the Bank have indeed informed you that the account was in debt. Just because your girlfriend decided to ignore this information and assumed you would deal with it does not make the Bank liable.

You're lucky that you haven't seen this unpaid debt having a detrimental effect on your credit file.

In the circumstances, I'd say the Bank are generous offering you £25 off-you certainly have no legal recourse available to you and must rely solely on the Bank's auspices if you are to get any more...
  • mark1978
    Options
    But that letter was received in 2014, surely they must legally inform us of any charges every month?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If they have been mistakenly writing to another address, that does not mean you escape liability for interest and late payment charges. You admit you have a statement of the debt from 2014 which should have been dealt with then. It's not the Bank's fault you didn't pay off the overdraft before incurring charges and interest.
  • Clark_Kent
    Options
    After tonight's show, I realised I still had my paperwork from a motorbike loan with RIGP finance. I was made redundant at the time, and they didn't honour the ppi, I struggled to make all the payments, but completed the loan with no late payments.
    Am I still able to make an historic ppi claim. The agreement was a 4yr loan back in 1994, ending in 98.

Many thanks for any advice.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Clark_Kent wrote: »
    After tonight's show, I realised I still had my paperwork from a motorbike loan with RIGP finance. I was made redundant at the time, and they didn't honour the ppi, I struggled to make all the payments, but completed the loan with no late payments.
    Am I still able to make an historic ppi claim. The agreement was a 4yr loan back in 1994, ending in 98.

Many thanks for any advice.

Please ask on your own thread. Not on one that is unrelated to your question. Its not fair on the OP if your questions take their thread off topic and leave theirs unanswered.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure