🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Murray international in an ISA

Options
I’ve got a S+S ISA with Cavendish online that goes through Fiedlity.
I’m interested in putting £250-500 and possibly drip-feeding into Murray International investment trust. I see that Aberdeen investments allow £250+ lump sum investments, but is there a way of investing in MYI (and other IT’s) via my current S+S isa or do I need to invest with a different platform for TY 16/17?

Comments

• talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,500 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I can't find Murray International on the Fidelity supermarket list, only the Income fund. International is well down now, 5% to NAV, could be a good time to buy if you still rate the manager who has a great record apart from the last couple of years. Being bearish about QE and inflation, and Sterling's relative strength, has lost him a lot of growth recently. I'm around 12% down from peak but hanging on still for the long term, another couple of years under performance like the last few and I'll probably think again.
  • cuthbertlilly
    Options
    so, which ISA providers offer MYI? or do i need to open it outside an isa?
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Any of the platforms that deal in shares as well as funds.

Fidelity will offer it in their share dealing section but the same ISA cannot be split between the two (unless I am horribly wrong).

Hargreaves Lansdown, Charles Stanley Direct, AJ Bell Youinvest ............. the list is endless.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    I think talexuser may have been confused if looking for Murray international on a "fund supermarket" list at Fidelity. It is not an open ended fund, it's an investment trust listed on the London stock exchange and is one of the big ones - it's in the FTSE 350.

It doesn't need to be bought via a "fund platform" at all - as it's simply a London listed share, any stockbroker offering a self select ISA will let you buy it. Most of the mainstream DIY fund platforms allow you to hold FTSE shares and investment trusts too, whether or not you are holding funds; they just sometimes have a different fee structure for buying and holding shares and ITs on the one hand, and funds (oeics and unit trusts) on the other.

If you fancy a change of scenery for 2016, Youinvest are competitive. They have transaction fees for both shares/ITs and funds, but only £1.50 per purchase on a monthly investment plan and their annual percentage on funds is lower than Fidelity/Cavendish.
  • talexuser
    Options
    Fidelity list a section for ITs and EFTs in the fundsupermarket which I assumed was needed for ISAs, not sure now. If thinking of investing long term I would certainly advise inside an ISA for the tax advantages when you want to eventually get income. or sell units.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,686 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    greenglide wrote: »
    Any of the platforms that deal in shares as well as funds.

Fidelity will offer it in their share dealing section but the same ISA cannot be split between the two (unless I am horribly wrong).

Hargreaves Lansdown, Charles Stanley Direct, AJ Bell Youinvest ............. the list is endless.

Fidelity are in the process of changing so investment trusts can be held in an ISA along with funds. It's only just started and looks to be charged at £3 per month total so worthwhile if your investment is quite large.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Fidelity are in the process of changing so investment trusts can be held in an ISA along with funds. It's only just started and looks to be charged at £3 per month total so worthwhile if your investment is quite large.
    Are they also improving response times on their site and making it more usable?

Just opened an account with Youinvest for my wife to get ITs inside an ISA (includes Murray International) and it is a much cleaner and usable site - not perfect but eminently usable. .
  • Cavendish
    Cavendish Posts: 25 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hello, this is an official response from Cavendish Online.

As the original poster requested confirmation of whether they can invest in Investment Trusts via Cavendish Online, we can confirm that this is possible.

Further information regarding the choice of Investment Trusts and the charges that apply are available on our website at the following address;
    http://www.cavendishonline.co.uk/investments/other-products/investment-trust-or-exchange-traded-fund/

Kind regards,

Cavendish Online.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Cavendish Online. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • talexuser
    Options
    As I thought Murray International is not in the list, but there are better alternatives if that is the trust you want to buy.
  • Cavendish
    Cavendish Posts: 25 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hello again from Cavendish Online.

Murray International Trust plc is available on our platform. If you download the Investment Trust (IT) pdf from the previous link you should see it towards the top of the second page.

IT's are currently not appearing on our Fund Research page, maybe this was where you couldn't see Murray International. We are working towards resolving this, however it will not prevent you from dealing in IT's on our platform.

Kind regards,

Cavendish Online
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Cavendish Online. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport