What do you pay with your 0% CC

Options
Have just got myself a 0% credit card (the 1st) but problem is to know what to pay with it.

- scared by the comment - don't use it as cash as it will be expensive.

For starters, thinking about paying Road tax for the year - is this classed as ok. or classed as cash?
Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19

Comments

• fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Road tax was abolished in 1937. I wouldn't bother paying it now, I think they will have forgotten if you still owe some.
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    Smartie .... :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

vehicletax
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • foxtrotoscar_2
    Options
    Smartie .... :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

vehicletax

...or vehicle excise duty perhaps?
  • bsms1147
    bsms1147 Posts: 2,261 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Everything you can, even a 12p banana on its own.
  • kelpie35
    kelpie35 Posts: 1,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I use mine for all my shopping and petrol as I get points with it.

I then clear it every month.

I think you pay more for your vehicle excise duty using a credit card.
  • msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I assume you mean 0% on spending card, not a 0% BT card?

If so then use it to "buy" anything, but not for cash cash withdrawals or pseudo cash withdrawals such as gambllng.
  • Jamiesmum
    Jamiesmum Posts: 368 Forumite
    Options
    You can pay your bills and shop with it as you would your normal debit card, just don't withdraw cash with it from an ATM and watch out for things that charge you a % more for using a credit card online. These are usually clearly put though.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As others have said, use it for everyday spending, just beware of things that impose a surcharge for using a credit card ( such as "car tax" ).

It's really important to make sure you pay at least the minimum amount every month, on time, without fail. If you miss a payment, then quite apart from damaging your credit file, the 0% promotional rate will be terminated and you'll be put straight on to their standard APR. A direct debit is the easiest way to make sure you never miss a payment.
  • chattychappy
    Options
    It's really important to make sure you pay at least the minimum amount every month, on time, without fail.

In fact, it's better to pay £1 more than the minimum payment. That avoids a "minimum payment" market on the credit reference file for that month.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In fact, it's better to pay £1 more than the minimum payment. That avoids a "minimum payment" market on the credit reference file for that month.

That's a very good point - however, does this still apply with a 0% deal ? I'm not disputing what you said, just curious ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure