PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Bundt Pan

Options
Lleucu
Lleucu Posts: 334 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 23 February 2016 at 6:21PM in Old style MoneySaving
Yesterday, late Christmas present from USA - a Bundt Pan! Never seen anything like it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundt_cake. The pan itself is a Fleur de Lys design, a bit like this one https://www.nordicware.com/store/product_detail/vaulted-cathedral-bundt-pan#.VqhjmiqLTIU.

Anybody used one? Any tips? Especially about releasing the cake given the intricate design? Some of the recipes I have seen online look a bit stodgy - could I use a conventional Victoria Sponge mix?
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• FairyPrincessk
    Options
    I used to use one growing up, although I don't have one now. You need to be very thorough when you grease and flour it and it will be fine. I'd probably try a stodgier recipe the first few times, although I don't see why a sponge wouldn't work once you get the hang of it and know which spots need extra attention with the butter and flour. The heavier cakes are sometimes a bit less delicate to get out (i.e. pound cake).
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 January 2016 at 8:19AM
    Options
    I have a few bundt pans. I had one and then started collecting a few more. I use lakeland cake release spray and a brush. A delicious and easy recipe is from nigella it is pretty well an all in one mix

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/spruced-up-vanilla-cake

That recipe would be a good one for your tin. I love the tins and have to stop myself buying more

releasing the cake is fine, just cool in the tin for a bit and use your fingers to ease away from the top. Put a wire rack over and upturn. Nordicware is tops
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    I have one of those and never knew it was called a Bundt pan! It was my grandma's and when she died in the 60's I ended up with it. I can only remember her making fatless sponge cakes in it, so that's all I have ever made in it too! I just refer to it as my sponge tin but it will now be called by it's rightful name!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you watch this week's episode of Victorian Bakery (BBC2) they used a few intricate moulds to make bread. The baker using them was very surprised that her bread didn't stick and came out OK. Hers weren't bundts, but she went into it disbelieving and thinking it'd all stick and fail.

So, if you can be bothered and have access to iPlayer it might be worthwhile just seeing that (early) part of the programme.
  • Flora_Poste
    Options
    They are particularly good for recipies with cherries in, I find. No matter what I do some always sink to the bottom but in a bundt tin they are on the top and look lovely. Theres a Mary Berry cherry and almond cake that's always nice.
    "A savoury muffin?? As if life wasn't disappointing enough!" Miranda
  • *zippy*
    *zippy* Posts: 2,979 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've only used the Nigella recipe Kittie posted and greased and floured they come out no problem x
  • Lleucu
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Diolch pawb.

You are all ser (stars *****) I think I will try the Mary Berry first, though my tin is larger (memo to self - carefully measure and up scale ingredients!)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Lleucu wrote: »
    The pan itself is a Fleur de Lys design, a bit like this one https://www.nordicware.com/store/product_detail/vaulted-cathedral-bundt-pan#.VqhjmiqLTIU.
    Wow, I am envious!

I took have several, none quite as fancy. I once bought a diamond-cut one on offer at Lakeland but returned it, couldn't justify spending so much money on a pretty cake tin.:o
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have that diamond cut fancy-looking bundt tin from Lakeland - I bought it in a charity shop just before Christmas for 99p and it didn't look as though it had ever been used. I just checked on the Lakeland site and although that one is now discontinued, it used to sell for over £30 so I am doubly pleased with my bargain.

I think I'll give it a try this weekend, as I have an egg glut from my obliging hens to use up and cake baking would be a good solution :)
  • Lleucu
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mary Berry cake (with Nigella hints and tips) tried, delicious but stuck horribly. I went online to seek tips and in the end got it out with a steamy T towel and a knife. It looked lovely but had lost some of the detail. Have ordered a cake release agent so will try again with the agent.

These details made no difference to the scoffability quotient - nearly all gone :):):)

Will post again with results from the cake release.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure