How do you value stress etc when seeking compensation

Options
not sure if this is right place but can't see anything else appropriate. Anyway, to cut a long story short I want to complain about a solicitor who messed me about for a year on a private litigation matter re a neighbour dispute before deciding that I didn't have a case because he'd misunderstood the law in the first place. He's not going to charge me (I should hope not) but I've wasted a year of my life writing letters, emails, making phone calls, getting annoyed, crying out of frustration etc . In pure money terms my costs have been minimal so I've not really lost anything financially but this dominated my life for a year, it was the last thing I thought of at night and the first thing I thought of in the morning. So I feel I should be due something and want to write to firm but how do I make a case re compensation, is there some 'magic' formula you can use to try and put a value on stress, frustration youve suffered?

Comments

• bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Generally no but there are exceptions, physical harm, loss of an amenity due to the breach causing undue stress, but they are rare.
    http://www.proneg.co.uk/news-articles/claiming-compensation-distress-inconvenience.html

You can't use the small claims court either as that is for monetary loss so taking it to court would be expensive and a huge gamble for little reward as it's not going to make you rich even if you did win.
  • kuepper wrote: »
    not sure if this is right place but can't see anything else appropriate. Anyway, to cut a long story short I want to complain about a solicitor who messed me about for a year on a private litigation matter re a neighbour dispute before deciding that I didn't have a case because he'd misunderstood the law in the first place. He's not going to charge me (I should hope not) but I've wasted a year of my life writing letters, emails, making phone calls, getting annoyed, crying out of frustration etc . In pure money terms my costs have been minimal so I've not really lost anything financially but this dominated my life for a year, it was the last thing I thought of at night and the first thing I thought of in the morning. So I feel I should be due something and want to write to firm but how do I make a case re compensation, is there some 'magic' formula you can use to try and put a value on stress, frustration youve suffered?

I think the remark the solicitor is not going to charge you, means there was no case to answer. You would understand this as the solicitor did not give you the answer you wanted.

You could go on complaining, but have many loops to go through first.
    As a first port of call, http://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/problems.page
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Surely the neighbour dispute was stressing you out, not the solicitors case (or no case?)
  • tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kuepper wrote: »

That's purely your own doing, nobody else to blame for that!
  • burlington6
    burlington6 Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Options
    Forget it and move on.

Surely going for compensation ( which you won't get ) will only drag the situation out longer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure