Bush Fridge Freezer purchased from Argos - what are my consumer rights? Please help

Options
I bought a Bush fridge freezer in December 2014 from Argos. Over the past couple of weeks the freezer has got colder (ice cream is rock solid) but the fridge seems warm.

I didn't know whether I had a 1 year warranty or more, so checked Argos as they still sell the same model number. At the bottom of the listing it says 2 years manufacturers warranty.

I phoned Argos who gave me the phone number but told me I only had 1 years warranty. I explained the same model number is being advertised with 2 years warranty but she said I only had 1 year when I purchased it.

Does anyone have an idea of how I should proceed and what my rights are? I remember being told by someone who worked in Asda that every electrical item had to have a 2 year warranty but not many consumers realised this. Is this true?

Many thanks in advance for your knowledge and help.

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nats2know wrote: »
    I bought a Bush fridge freezer in December 2014 from Argos. Over the past couple of weeks the freezer has got colder (ice cream is rock solid) but the fridge seems warm.

I didn't know whether I had a 1 year warranty or more, so checked Argos as they still sell the same model number. At the bottom of the listing it says 2 years manufacturers warranty.

I phoned Argos who gave me the phone number but told me I only had 1 years warranty. I explained the same model number is being advertised with 2 years warranty but she said I only had 1 year when I purchased it.

Does anyone have an idea of how I should proceed and what my rights are? I remember being told by someone who worked in Asda that every electrical item had to have a 2 year warranty but not many consumers realised this. Is this true?

Many thanks in advance for your knowledge and help.
    Is this fridge-freezer kept in an unheated building?
    E.g. a shed or garage maybe.

No it is not true that all electrical goods have a two year warranty.

You have up to six years to seek a remedy from the seller if the thing is inherently faulty.
  • Nats2know
    Options
    No, it's in my kitchen. Does this make a difference?

Does it not help that the same model being sold today has a 2 year manufacturers warranty?
  • Zinger549
    Zinger549 Posts: 1,308 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    After six moths you would need to get an independent report detailing the fault.
    Come on you Irons
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options

Does it not help that the same model being sold today has a 2 year manufacturers warranty?

Nope. Why would it? If you had one year but now it only had 6 months you wouldn't be saying that.

As Zinger says, if you want to go down the SOGA route with argos you need an independent report. You can speak to Bush as well but legally they don't have any obligation to do anything for you.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No, it's in my kitchen. Does this make a difference?
    Some fridge-freezers only have one thermostat to control the temperature in both the fridge and the freezer. Strange things happen when the thing is sited in a cold ambient temperature.
    But as you've confirmed it is in a warm place, we no longer need to consider that.
    No. It is the agreement that was in place at the time of purchase that matters.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure