Ground Rent Increased by 100%

Options
I have just been informed by Estates & Management Limited, who collect the rent twice a year in Jan and July on behalf of Fairhold Atlas Ltd, that following a rent review my new ground rent payment for my apartment is going up from £200 to £400/year. No evidence produced to justify this increase. I have written to Estates & Management Limited asking them to justify this increase.
How can they justify such an increase? Should I simply pay (by end of February) before seeing any evidence of their right to increase these payments?
Can I appeal and who too?

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,649 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    From Gov.UK site

https://www.gov.uk/leasehold-property/service-charges-and-other-expenses

Ground rent
    You don’t have to pay ground rent unless your landlord has sent you a formal, written demand for it. They can take legal action if you don’t pay after you’ve received the demand.

Your landlord can recover unpaid ground rent going back 6 years - they can ask you for the full amount in one go.

Your landlord can only increase the ground rent if you agree to the increase or the lease says this can happen.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • TrickyDicky101
    Options
    You need to read your lease. This may well contain provisions for periodic gr increases
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure