Co-Op Energy! Bill Problems

Options
Advice greatly received!!!

Having rung CoOp Energy last week to give them my meter reading (i only rang because their website was down), i was told that my account is £570 in debit.
I have been paying a direct debit each month for the last 3 years which the co-op estimated when i switched to them at that time. Since switching to them i have received no paper bills or requests for payment.
Now that i have rung and given them my accurate meter readings, they tell me that the direct debit hasnt been covering the usage each month, for the last 3 years!!! And so i now owe £570.
They havent told me about it until i rang them up myself.
They say they dont require all the money now, but I am now in a position where i cant switch to a different supplier until i pay off the full amount.
I know they have had problems with their internal system and so admit that they havent been sending bills out.
Has anyone else had this issue? And do i have any other choice other than to pay them the full £570 and leave, or stay with them and increase my direct debit in an attempt to cover the difference.

Thanks.
Jake

Comments

• victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,656 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately that's the curse of relying on estimated readings. When was the last actual reading (either by you or a meter reader) given? No bills in 3 years? Are you on an on-line only account, so would only get bills or notifications by email?
    CoOp Energy don't have a very good reputation, but all you can do is come up with a payment plan to clear the bill as soon as possible if you want to switch to another supplier.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Jake_B_2
    Options
    I have just taken accurate readings on Jan 22nd following an email request. But cant find that they have requested them before - i am sure i have given them before though.
    They also said that after 6 months the direct debit would be reviewed but it looks like it never was and the account just kept falling short and creeping up each month. It would only have been an extra £16 per month which is clearly manageable - instead its now nearly £600 in debit!
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,144 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Do you manage your account online? If so download your bills and see what they say.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Jake_B_2
    Options
    Online account yes. It all works out that i do owe them, its just that i wasnt told and it was only when i rang them for something else that they told me.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,144 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    But that's the way online accounts work - it relies on you looking -

same applies for online banking
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Jake_B_2
    Options
    Well its not is it really......if i go overdrawn i get notified.
  • The_Biff
    The_Biff Posts: 406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I believe that your meter has to be read by the supplier once per year. Check this with the regulator.
    Nice to save.
  • davidgmmafan
    Options
    Do you get any kind of automated reciept email when you give a reading? If you can prove you gave accurate readings and they have ignored them then back billing may apply. How much were you paying? How much were you using?

Do the start readings look accurate?
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • danm
    danm Posts: 541 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pretty sure that in the T&C's with Co-Op you agree to provide them a monthly reading. I had a number of issues with them when i first joined, but since their system update and me scheduling a reminder every 3 weeks to put a reading online it has been fine .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure