? about small claims court - witness statement

Options
Hi All

I am helping my friend to represent herself in the small claims court tomorrow. When exchanging the documents with the court and the other party, we noted she did not sent a witness statement from herself. English is her second language and she believed that when they requested witness statement they meant statement from people who were witnesses to the situation (apart from her).

All she wants to say at the hearing is included in the letter she exchanged with the company (the defendant) before the court and she send this letter to the court as part of the documents exchange. I wonder how the judge would react the the absence of the witness statement.

Also to add the defendant did not provide any documents at all and they canceled the mediation the day before it was agreed.

I will be there as Mckenzy friend. Any advice for us will be much appreciated.

Many many thanks

Comments

• naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    wantoknow wrote: »
    Hi All

I am helping my friend to represent herself in the small claims court tomorrow. When exchanging the documents with the court and the other party, we noted she did not sent a witness statement from herself. English is her second language and she believed that when they requested witness statement they meant statement from people who were witnesses to the situation (apart from her).

All she wants to say at the hearing is included in the letter she exchanged with the company (the defendant) before the court and she send this letter to the court as part of the documents exchange. I wonder how the judge would react the the absence of the witness statement.

Also to add the defendant did not provide any documents at all and they canceled the mediation the day before it was agreed.

I will be there as Mckenzy friend. Any advice for us will be much appreciated.

Many many thanks

I have never been to any court, and I don't know for certain. However if your friend's case is set out (reasonably clearly) in one of the documents, and she is going in person herself, I doubt there will be any problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure