LateRooms Non Refundable Bookings

Options
Has anyone else ever experienced this?

I book lots of hotel rooms through LateRooms for my business and today I booked one that was at a cheap rate because there were no refunds available. However, as I clicked confirm I realised the date was wrong. I was straight on the phone to LateRooms (within seconds) and they contacted the hotel. The hotel has said they cannot refund the booking but if I am willing to rebook the right date at their hotel they can cancel the previous date at no extra charge. My original room rate was £30.60 (approx) for my first date (a Sunday). For the Monday it jumped to £48.60 which is more than my budget allowed for.

Now I know it was my mistake (due to tiredness) for not double checking the dates before I hit that important confirm button, but is there no legislation for a cooling off period when purchasing things like this, even with restrictions in place? Mobile phones you get 15 days quite often. Parking tickets you get around 10 minutes grace to get one. Is there nothing for online bookings where you can cancel regardless of restrictions within the first 60 minutes. People genuinely make mistakes from time to time and should be able to rectify that without extra monetary expenditure or loss.

Any info would be great!

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 24 January 2016 at 7:05PM
    Options
    guessagain wrote: »
    Has anyone else ever experienced this?

I book lots of hotel rooms through LateRooms for my business and today I booked one that was at a cheap rate because there were no refunds available. However, as I clicked confirm I realised the date was wrong. I was straight on the phone to LateRooms (within seconds) and they contacted the hotel. The hotel has said they cannot refund the booking but if I am willing to rebook the right date at their hotel they can cancel the previous date at no extra charge. My original room rate was £30.60 (approx) for my first date (a Sunday). For the Monday it jumped to £48.60 which is more than my budget allowed for.

Now I know it was my mistake (due to tiredness) for not double checking the dates before I hit that important confirm button, but is there no legislation for a cooling off period when purchasing things like this, even with restrictions in place? Mobile phones you get 15 days quite often. Parking tickets you get around 10 minutes grace to get one. Is there nothing for online bookings where you can cancel regardless of restrictions within the first 60 minutes. People genuinely make mistakes from time to time and should be able to rectify that without extra monetary expenditure or loss.

Any info would be great!
    No sorry, there is no cooling off period for your situation.

Regulation 28 of The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 lists exceptions to the right to cancel.

In there you will see:
    (h) the supply of accommodation, transport of goods, vehicle rental services, catering or services related to leisure activities, if the contract provides for a specific date or period of performance.

Just to add, that as this was a business purchase then no consumer legislation would help you anyway.
  • nomoneytoday
    nomoneytoday Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is no right to a refund, but IMHO the hotel are being fair by offering to move the booking for just the price difference.

£18 extra is better than a £30 loss IMHO
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport