Portable switch for gas & electricity

Options
Hi there

I'm a newbie so I hope I'm doing this right!

I am coming up to the end of a fixed tariff for combined gas and electricity and wish to switch to a cheaper one. However, I rent my home and am not sure if my landlord is selling the house so I may need to move home at some point in the next 6 months. I am therefore looking for a portable fixed tariff. I can't find any information on the comparison site which tells me which deals are portable and which aren't. Can anybody help me? Where would I find this information?

Thank you!

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,045 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As far as I am aware none of the suppliers do portable tariffs.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tariffs aren't portable, you will be in a deemed contract with the existing supplier when you move.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,104 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think that, with prior negotiation, FU allow customers to keep their current tariff on moving home. It goes something like: move home and inform existing supplier; switch back to FU, and keep existing tariff rates etc.

Be that as it may. I believe that most suppliers will not charge exit fees if a customer moves home.
  • deecahill
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I know that some of them do portable tariffs ie if you move home, you take your deal with you rather than having to pay the fixed penalty to get out of it early. I've been comparing on the table on MSE and for some of the tariffs, the advice is that this deal isn't portable so it's not for you if you might move home during the fixed period. However, for others it doesn't say that but neither does it say that it's portable. How would I find out?
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,878 Forumite
    Options
    As recently reported on this forum, unlike most suppliers FU will charge exit fee's if you move home, so renters beware
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Options
    deecahill wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses. I know that some of them do portable tariffs ie if you move home, you take your deal with you rather than having to pay the fixed penalty to get out of it early. I've been comparing on the table on MSE and for some of the tariffs, the advice is that this deal isn't portable so it's not for you if you might move home during the fixed period. However, for others it doesn't say that but neither does it say that it's portable. How would I find out?

But moving house voids your contract without penalty anyway. Except for FU, apparently.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport