New job in watford junction - reverse commute

Options
Hi all,

I got a new job in Watford Junction, but I am planning to reverse commute and live somewhere in zone 1 or 2 in London. One option is share a flat next to Euston area but I find value for money is not amazing, so considered the overground commute, even though longer, I could think about areas like South Hampstead or Queen's Park. For example queen's park I could even take the Bakerloo line and then the train as well ( suggested by citymapper to get to watford).

As anyone commuted to Watford Junction by overground? any thoughts? It would also be half the price..is it to slow though? I believe average time will be around 40/50 minutes vs maybe 20 by a train from Euston.

Thanks for your help!

Vera

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,968 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Euston to Watford Junction on the fast trains can be tricky as many stop only to pick up passengers going northbound or set down only going southbound. So you route would prevent you taking trains that do the journey in ~17 minutes. The Euston station barriers are at platform level, so even if you were inclined to hide in the toilet on the train, you would be caught out at Euston.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • verasalvo
    Options
    There seems to be a couple of trains that go through Harrow & wealdstone or wembley, but even just the overground from either South Hampstead or Queen's Park go directly to Watford Junction.

My question is to understand if anyone here commutes by overground and if itr feels really long? Or any other tip regarding commuting to watford and where to live in London.

Thanks!
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It might be better to try the journey yourself, what seems long to one person may seem short to another.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Wouldn't it make sense to live somewhere with a quick journey to Euston, then catch the fast train to Watford? The regular overground would be a very long journey.

Watford junction is only 6 minutes from our village on the little train that goes between there and St Albans :)
  • verasalvo
    Options
    Thanks! That's another option yes but for example queens park to watford junction is 40 min, a quick journey via undergroud to euston plus changing to train etc at the end of the day might take as well the 40 minutes that the overground takes.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    So how come you want to live in zone 1/2 rather than move further out? (Just being nosey)
  • verasalvo
    Options
    I will just be new to London and moving by myself (no family), I want to enjoy the city and all my friends live in central london so possible social scene are in zone 1/2 - so there is not much for me outside London. I just want to be able to be ok going out and not be worried about getting a last tube, and not being lazy because I have to get myself on the train etc, on weekends enjoy the buzzing city, etc. At least for the beginning, then I can start thinking if it makes sense to move a bit further out.

Hope it makes sense :)
  • The_Groat_Counter
    Options
    verasalvo wrote: »
    I will just be new to London and moving by myself (no family), I want to enjoy the city and all my friends live in central london so possible social scene are in zone 1/2 [...]

Hope it makes sense :)

It makes perfect sense.

Books, podcasts and possibly TV programmes on a mobile device can help you pass the time on your commute. The train won't be mad busy as it would be in the other direction so you'll have some space.

On that Overground line you'll actually benefit from cheaper fares when going against the flow (if paying with Oyster or contactless card), though only if you start at a station somewhere along the line between Euston and Watford Junction.

Heading towards Watford Jn in the morning you pay off-peak fares, and likewise heading towards Euston in the evening you'll also pay off-peak fares. (In general peak fares apply when using Oyster/contactless between 0630-0930 and 1600-1900 on weekdays.)

See the TfL single fare finder.

(Compare with the season ticket price just to be sure, but coming from say Queen's Park you'd be quids in using Oyster/contactless rather than buying a rail season ticket.)
  • loobs40
    loobs40 Posts: 1,232 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another option is using the Southern rail service which stops at Watford Junction. My son lives is Balham (south London) and he takes the Southern service from there direct to Watford where he works.

The downside is the trains are only hourly, but I don't think he I has had many problems with that service.,
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    There are online tools to help you....

http://www.locrating.com/CommutingMap.aspx

The maps suggest Shepards bush might be good. My brother flat shared there for a while.

However, I'd be tempted to live on the Northern line, somewhere around Camden Town, then you'd scoot down there to Euston, get the fast train back up to Watford.

PS. Your cost of living is going to be MASSIVE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport