weight loss surgery - advice needed :0)

Options
Hi

I am very overweight and have struggled many times to lose weight. A handful of times I have been successful but I have NEVER been able to maintain the weight.

I am now sitting and thinking that even when I lose weight (most I have lost is 5 stone) then I will still not be able to maintain it.

I have a strong emotional connection to food and with food I am self-destructive with myself. In other areas of my life I am motivated, confident and headstrong to achieve but cannot adapt this process to my weight.

I had troubles in my childhood - all of which I have now confronted face on and addressed - I thought this may help but it hasn't.

I have a very supportive husband and family but still I cannot find the willpower and ability to lose weight and keep it off.

I am now seriously considering weight loss surgery. I have very little money as a stay at home mum but this is something that I know will change my life - It will mean I no longer have to factor in the thought of food.

I would love to hear your other stories and any advice out there.

Thanks
No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3

Comments

• lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Julia.

I also considered weight loss surgery ( liposuction) although I was only borderline obese. I just felt Id battled too many times.

I am currently doing the Cambridge Diet, have you tried that?

I have to say I was sceptical about it, but I am staggered by a) how quickly the weight is being lost, b) how utterly amazing I feel.

It really breaks the relationship with food, as its meal replacement, it is also supported by a counsellor too, so that support is there.

I cannot recommend this diet enough.

Please please consider the cambridge diet ( theres a GROUP of us in health & beauty moneysaving all doing it). You have to emotioanlly commit to it, but If you stick to it ( and its not difficult, Ive not been hungry for weeks) you will see and feel results you never thought possible.

You can always consider surgery if the CD doesnt work, but I think you will be very surprised- Ive been thrilled with it.

Its about 35 per week, and thats for all your meals.

Do consider it, any questions on it come over and ask us in the health & beauty board, Cute and Quirky is a mine of officila info and has lost a staggering amount of weight, quickly, painlessly and she is overjoyed with it too.

Lynzx
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My friend did something like this recently - a diet group where you break off your relationship with food and then gradually build up healthy eating habits - and she went from about a size 24 to a size 12. It was a bit weird, too, because at one point she was losing a dress size every 2 days!

It was a lot of hard work - for months, she couldn't drink alcohol and there were times that she couldn't eat solid food (I don't know all the details), but she's delighted now - much more active, wears brighter colours and will keep it off long-term because she no longer depends on food emotionally.
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • Hobel
    Hobel Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Have you tried Weightwatchers? I have found that is better for me as it does not feel like you are on a "diet" as you do not have to cut anything out. You just count "points".

I have tried this twice now and lost weight both times. I also have found out that have an intolerance to wheat which means I get very bloated if I eat too much (wheat that is!).

Good Luck with whatever method you try.
    Keep smiling - it makes people wonder what you've been up to........:)
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My friend did something like this recently - a diet group where you break off your relationship with food and then gradually build up healthy eating habits - and she went from about a size 24 to a size 12. It was a bit weird, too, because at one point she was losing a dress size every 2 days!

It was a lot of hard work - for months, she couldn't drink alcohol and there were times that she couldn't eat solid food (I don't know all the details), but she's delighted now - much more active, wears brighter colours and will keep it off long-term because she no longer depends on food emotionally.

badgerlady, i wonder if this is Lighterlife? Lighterlife & cambridge diet are very similar, i think theres a slight price differentiation, and Lighterlife uses groups, whereas Cambridge is a one-to-one with counsellor once a week.
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • lofty_cherrytree
    Options
    Hi Julia, I am a nurse and have looked after patients following gastric banding and gastric bypass operations in the past so here is a sketchy outline from what I can remember.

Gastric banding (also called a lap-band) where a band is placed around the stomach by keyhole surgery and then this can be 'tightened' by filling with water (by the surgeon) via a port under the skin. It reduces the quantity of food you can eat at one time, but can be cheated by eating high calorie foods like chocolate, biscuits etc.

gastric bypass (also known as Roux-en-Y) where the top part of the stomach is formed into a pouch by stapling and then the small intestine is bypassed to prevent absorption. This results in you only being able to eat small quantities of food initially, in the form of pureed food and baby sized portions. It does work but it is major surgery, and if you have been very overweight for a long time you may end up having to have further surgery to remove skin flaps on arms, legs, stomach etc. It is more difficult to cheat with this as a large quantity of high calorie foods will make you feel very unwell. Look it up on the internet for a fuller description, and I belive there is a forum where people who have had this surgery can support each other and those thinking of having this kind of surgery.

I would suggest getting as much information as possible and then go and talk to your GP, but do try the lifestyle changing schemes too.

I wish you the very best whatever you decide.
  • Ishtar
    Ishtar Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    SkipClick wrote: »

I'm following Paul McKenna's system and have to say it's working really well. I don't know how much weight I've lost because he encourages you not to weigh yourself, but I'm more active and my relationship with food is improving all the time. My clothes are also feeling looser.

Well recommended.

I also lost 2.5st on weightwatchers 4 years ago, which I successfully kept off until the birth of my daughter 2 years ago. Had I not fallen pregnant I have no doubt that the weight would have stayed off.

D.
  • snipzychick
    snipzychick Posts: 2,079 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi juliav

Have you spoken to your gp about trying prescription diet tablets?

I too have struggled with my weight for years, yo-yoing up and down

I do find that weight watchers works really well for me and over the last year i have lost 3 1/2 stone with them, but i find my weight loss is frustratingly slow and my doc has prescribed me with reductil pills just yesterday as i still have a long way to go, and i am eating healthily. They work by reducing your appetite, and they are doing well on that score so far.

maybe worth thinking about:rolleyes:
    Murphy's No More Pies Club member # 140 - lost 40 lbs

:A 03/10 :A 07/11 :A 03/12

• DebtphobicDeirdre
    Options
    Try googling Overeaters Anonymous. This is a self help group which is free. It is based on the 12 steps of Alcoholics anonymous but is adapted to people who compulsively overeat,are anorexic or bulimic. Groups meet weekly for mutual support and there are online meetings on the net every 3 hours.Why not give it a try?
    earn what you can, save what you can, give what you can :hello:
  • balijay
    balijay Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Julia, -

Just thought i would give you an insight into my stepmums weight loss surgery. She started in April 06 with a gastric bypass. Following this her diet was very limited - things like bread,pasta and fizzy drinks were ruled out and many foods made her sick. At one stage she being was sick after every meal. She also had a problem with a serious infection which meant she had to go back into hospital for a while. She can now only eat very small portions and will have to take vitamin supplements for the rest of her life. However the weight started to fall off and this year she has had three further operations (tummy tuck, thigh lift and upper arms) to remove excess skin. She has lost nearly 8 stone and looks great. Like you my stepmum had struggled for many years with her weight, trying things such as slimming world. We have just returned from a holiday in France where she could actually enjoy things like swimming with the rest of us - her quality of life is so much improved. It is very expensive and the operations are not for the feint hearted - but if your husband is willing to support you through this it really could change your life.
    I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide.

Lou x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport