Weird Amazon account hack?

Options
motorguy
motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
I've had a couple of weird things happen with my Amazon account, leading to what seems to be a hack

A couple of days ago, i got a refund of £49.99 applied to my account as an "account adjustment" refund. It said it was going back on to the original card, but having subsequently checked, it appeared as a £49.99 gift card. I neither requested the refund on the item (from November) nor thought i'd paid twice (not possible i'd have thought).

Didnt track much more into it.

So this morning @ 00:08, an email came through for a purchase for a memory card @ £31 to be delivered to a Amazon locker in Newcastle Upon Tyne, gift wrapped and "Enjoy your Gift!" as the message.

I live in Northern Ireland and i definitely didnt make the order.

So my account seems to have been hacked. The order had a status of "packing" so i was able to cancel it and i've changed my password.

All seems strange - in many ways quite sophisticated, but in other ways very amateur - the locker number and access code only go to my email account.

Not only that, but the cancelled order is not appearing on my cancelled order list.

Anyone had similar? I'm almost thinking its an Amazon employee inside job?

Comments

• MoneyMission2015
    Options
    I know you've cancelled the order now but if I were you I would also contact Amazon to query the transactions or at least notify them that there is something going on with the account, just in case you get anymore weird activity.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cheers, yes, good idea.

I did that so they've taken a note and passed the info to their fraud team.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    All seems strange - in many ways quite sophisticated, but in other ways very amateur - the locker number and access code only go to my email account.

If your account is set up for it, the delivery notification and access code for the locker will also get sent to a mobile phone so it would worth checking all of your account details to make sure that your registered phone number hasn't been changed.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,027 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Not to make you feel paranoid but I'd be checking other online accounts too.

Sadly there's quite a bit of damage that can be done in quite a short period of time that can take a while to filter through.

My wife had a phone stolen and was cancelled within twenty minutes, a couple of months later we found an attempt to get £80 via the phone (I won't say how on here, but it was a new one on me). Fortunately the charge was waived.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure