PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

buying a freehold

Options
Ok this is my first post and not sure if its in the right place etc so go easy please..

I bought my house on 1 sept this yr, and was told I had to pay ground rent at £10 per annum..
I have received a letter from solicitors today saying..
We are instructed to act on behalf of the owner of the freehold reversion of your property. We have been instructed to dispose of the freehold reversion and have been asked to offer you the opportunity to purchase at £150. In addition to the price quoted are our legal fees of £200 +vat.

Anyone put this in normal language for me.. any advice?

dizz

Comments

• trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It basically means they are offering to sell it to you....................should you wish to buy it.

You won't pay them ground rent then because you will own it :)
    I take it your home is leasehold now ???

Don't do anything without taking proper advice though so you know exactly what your getting and what happens it you don't buy :)
  • dizzzyqueen
    Options
    Thanks
    yes my house is leasehold now.
    It seems sill that the solicitors fees and more than the cost of the freehold.
    Also if it stayed at £10 per annum I would have to live here for 40 yrs to benefit.
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    you've got factor in that when you sell, selling a leasehold will cost more than a freehold so you'll be paying solicitors at that point anyway. FWIW, I'd have thought a Freehold property generally also has more marketable value than leasehold
  • Rafter
    Rafter Posts: 3,850 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Owning the freehold gives you total control over the property and does make it more sellable. The investment will probably pay off in terms of the value of the property increasing.

As to what you should pay for it, it depends on the rent, the length of lease outstanding and what roles the landlord currently undertakes for his/her £10 per year.

£150 suggests it is a fairly long lease with little terminal value (that is the value of the property when it returns to the landlord at the end of your lease).

You probably need a solicitor of your own to make sure all the documents are in order and to advise you of any risks.

So the total bill might be around £750. You have to decide if it is worth it to you. They may reduce the price a bit if you show little interest.
    Smile :), it makes people wonder what you have been up to.
  • dizzzyqueen
    Options
    :'(

So to buy my £150 freehold could cost me approx £600 solic fees...?
    Thats ludicrous, but i suppose if its worth it in the long run i will have to do it.
    thanks
  • trafalgar_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No you don't have to do it though if you don't want .................as you have only just bought the property anyway.

If you don't buy it they can sell it on but they can't sell it for more than they offer it to you...................if you don't buy it your lease stays the same......................and later if you want to buy it , you can within certain conditions

So don't buy it now if you don't want to...................it is possible to stop it being sold to anyone...............you can negotiate it down too...............you don't have to accept their price.............but it could get costly as people say with solicitors fees etc.

Personally unless I was selling my house on ,I wouldn't bother :-/

There is some really good info here..........

http://england.shelter.org.uk/advice/advice-193.cfm

Definately worth a read then you can decide what's best for you :)
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    but then theres no guarantee that in future they may increase price of freehold to be annoying, for the price it's a reasonably good deal I guess, just a shame they didn't say whilst you were buying as solicitor could have probably absorbed work a bit at same time
  • trafalgar_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    but then theres no guarantee that in future they may increase price of freehold to be annoying, for the price it's a reasonably good deal I guess, just  a shame they didn't say whilst you were buying as solicitor could have probably absorbed work a bit at same time
    There are laws now to stop it being increased just because they want to ...............tribunals to make sure it's a fair price.

But it could be that now may be the best price................and the freeholder just wants rid :-/

Best to check out all the options before deciding.
    Your right though a unfortunate they want to sell now.............it could of saved a lot of hassle and cost if done at the same time as purchase of property.
  • dizzzyqueen
    Options
    :)

Thanks that site is really helpful.
    If it had been offered 4 wks ago when I was buying house, I would have just bought it.
    But the money I have given to solicitors recently with divorce, and housebuying is ridiculous.
    Think that i will buy it and thanks for all the help.
  • Robert_Sterling_3
    Options
    BUY IT
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business