Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    That's a motto for a long, successful and happy life! :)

Even Wikipedia won't accept the Mail as a source of accurate information. A supporter of the Nazis in the 1930s, it continues to push out bile, hatred and lies claimed to be facts.

You must have missed this article in your daily ingestion of the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2011/dec/06/dailymail-oswald-mosley
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    PLRFD wrote: »
    I wouldn't feed my dog any raw meat.

Why not? My GSD only ever eats raw food and has done since he was weaned as a puppy. It's far healthier and natural than any of the processed pet food rubbish.
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't feed him pet food I cook for him but raw is not for us if it works for you that's fine.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    You must have missed this article in your daily ingestion of the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2011/dec/06/dailymail-oswald-mosley

I'm well aware of the article - which represents the viewpoint of Roy Greenslade.

He's entitled to that viewpoint, but it doesn't alter the fact that the Daily Mail did support the Nazis. They don't like attention being drawn to it, of course, but it remains a fact, and whether you feel that it's still relevant today depends on your viewpoint.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Not wanting to disrupt, but what should I be buying in Aldi other than their rather charming shopping bags? (My sons have already picked out Tea & Fruitcake for me, how thoughtful...)
  • A._Badger
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    I'm well aware of the article - which represents the viewpoint of Roy Greenslade.

He's entitled to that viewpoint, but it doesn't alter the fact that the Daily Mail did support the Nazis. They don't like attention being drawn to it, of course, but it remains a fact, and whether you feel that it's still relevant today depends on your viewpoint.

I think he sums up my viewpoint rather nicely in his opening paragraph:

"One of the things that always makes me furious is the knee-jerk stupidity of saying that the Daily Mail used to support fascism, thereby implying that it is somehow tainted goods in its modern form."

And there we were, talking about Aldi and Lidl.
  • A._Badger
    edited 15 July 2017 at 4:38PM
    Options
    Not wanting to disrupt, but what should I be buying in Aldi other than their rather charming shopping bags? (My sons have already picked out Tea & Fruitcake for me, how thoughtful...)

Just about anything, actually. It entails a learning process, as does shopping anywhere new. By and large their own brands compare very favourably with main brands and their meat is of a far superior quality to that from the likes of Sainsbury's and Tesco. The only things I avoid, personally, are their vegetables and some of the fruit, although their citrus fruit and bananas are fine.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ah, cheers. I do note that there's a pull on haggis as it may contain botulism. What makes this a Must Buy (albeit next month) for me is that in fact for Lidl's "brand" Donald & Sons is actually made by Macsweens a seriously high end producer! (Inference from this report here.)
    Any more "hidden brands" at Lidl I should be keeping an eye open for?
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,161 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options

A lot of the A & L bread products are made by Warburtons (and are generally very good). In particular, the "posh" loaves in Lidl and the sandwich thins in Aldi are very nice. Also the wraps.

Someone in the thread mentioned some of the muesli products being made by Dorset Cereals (but I can't remember whether that was Aldi or Lidl).
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Ah, cheers. I do note that there's a pull on haggis as it may contain botulism. What makes this a Must Buy (albeit next month) for me is that in fact for Lidl's "brand" Donald & Sons is actually made by Macsweens a seriously high end producer! (Inference from this report here.)

Lidl and M&S were both supplied by Macsween, as I'm sure you noticed. M&S and Aldi also share a top ranking Stilton producer, and Dorset Cereals do indeed supply Lidl.

In reality, Aldi and Lidl both use the same suppliers, by and large, as all the other supermarkets. The ingredients may vary slightly from brand to brand, but the quality is certainly as good as, if not better than, Tesco/Morrisons/Asda/Sainsbury.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure