Company not behaving fairly?

My team and I were recently informed that our jobs are at risk as the company is considering closing our section due to the fact it is running at a loss. We now have a consultation period. The company has gone to great lengths to say it has not made any final decisions. However, I believe the company haes already decided to close the section down and the consultation is a PR exercise.
  1. The MD says there is nothing in the budget for us to continue operating our brand which suggests they have already made a decision.
  2. The office manager has already revised the seating plan to account for us no longer being there.
  3. A supplier has informed us that my section wont be continuing to use their services.
  4. Other managers more junior to me were informed prior to my team being officially informed.
Any thoughts, suggestions, advice welcomed.

Comments

• Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It does sound that it is inevitable, but it is a legal requirement to consult so not just a PR exercise.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Higgers65 wrote: »

Start looking for another job? There isn't much else you can do.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Unless you can offer path to profitability it is probably a done deal.

you say "you and your team" did you not know this team was not performing?
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    The reality is that no employer starts consulting about redundancies unless they have already made a decision that the probably need to make them. It is ridiculous of the law to expect anything else. No employer is going to consult on redundancies they haven't a clue they need. So yes - by the time they decide to consult a decision is made and the consultation is designed to give you an opportunity to explain why their decision is wrong. Do you have an alternative?
  • The consultation is there as mentioned above for you to outline other options, can you make it profitable, why isn't profitable, can the team go in another direction, can the company be more cost effective and so on.

Company are acting fairly.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Higgers65 wrote: »
    My team and I were recently informed that our jobs are at risk as the company is considering closing our section due to the fact it is running at a loss. We now have a consultation period. The company has gone to great lengths to say it has not made any final decisions. However, I believe the company haes already decided to close the section down and the consultation is a PR exercise.
    1. The MD says there is nothing in the budget for us to continue operating our brand which suggests they have already made a decision.
    2. The office manager has already revised the seating plan to account for us no longer being there.
    3. A supplier has informed us that my section wont be continuing to use their services.
    4. Other managers more junior to me were informed prior to my team being officially informed.

As others have commented, most likely a done deal already but the company are legally obliged to have a consultation period.

I think you have to accept the reality that you're going to lose your current role. Any other opportunities in the company? I guess you'll find out during consultation

Whilst its easy for bitterness and anger to fester, you would be best placed to start looking at your options and what exit package the company are offering rather than trying to pick fault in their process / decisions.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    A consultation is not a vote.

It's your chance to sell your dept/section whatever.

For example:

Based on Q1 of 2015, I believe we can hit target by Q3 2016, if we have investment in x,y,z and be 15% ahead of target by Q2 2017. Here is my outline.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Guest101 wrote: »

It's your chance to sell your dept/section whatever.

I would say in 99.9% of cases the decision has already been made by senior management. Unless the O/P has access to information or a view of things that senior management arent seeing then its going to go ahead anyway.

As you said, its not a vote. Nor is it done by consensus.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    motorguy wrote: »
    I would say in 99.9% of cases the decision has already been made by senior management. Unless the O/P has access to information or a view of things that senior management arent seeing then its going to go ahead anyway.

As you said, its not a vote. Nor is it done by consensus.

Oh yes I agree, the decision is made, and this is a formality. But sometimes boots on the ground have a better view than those up high.

If senior management aren't aware of something which is developing, it could turn around their decision.

9/10 times it's better to be first off the ship, than competing with colleagues for new positions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure