We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Cascading first floor window box

Options
hollydays
hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Is it possible to plant some kind of vine in a first floor window box which us about four feet long and sturdily constructed so it cascades down a long way? If so , which and when would you plant it?

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Don't know the answer but one problem for anything hanging down would be the root depth to anchor it. A window box doesn't give much root depth
  • Elsewhere
    Elsewhere Posts: 752 Forumite
    Options
    How about something that sticks to the wall and supports itself, like ivy or Virginia creeper? Or there are lots of fast-growing annuals (if you don't mind it bare in winter) that might do like Morning Glory or Cobaea Scandens.

For a perennial that's not too heavy the only thing that springs to my mind is one of the daintier clematises (or should that be clematii? I have no idea of the plural of clematis, :) )
  • hollydays
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    Don't know the answer but one problem for anything hanging down would be the root depth to anchor it. A window box doesn't give much root depth

This is what I was wondering, but as its rampant I am now thinking I've got nothing to lose by giving it a try.
    I wanted something that has autumn winter interest and won't take much watering as it's an upper window.
  • hollydays
    edited 17 January 2016 at 10:00AM
    Options
    Elsewhere wrote: »
    How about something that sticks to the wall and supports itself, like ivy or Virginia creeper? Or there are lots of fast-growing annuals (if you don't mind it bare in winter) that might do like Morning Glory or Cobaea Scandens.

For a perennial that's not too heavy the only thing that springs to my mind is one of the daintier clematises (or should that be clematii? I have no idea of the plural of clematis, :) )

I don't want anything clinging to the wall , but I'm now thinking of maybe planting Virginia creeper in the hope it will cascade.
    I've seen a photo of morning glory cascading if the Virginia creeper doesn't work I'll give that a try if it's fairly drought resistant.i do love clematis Montana I wonder if I could have a long section of that for Spring interest too? I may have to pull it all out after one year if it gets too congested- I think white shades will be better than pink for my house.hmm I'm thinking a less vigorous Montana might be better than a Virginia creeper

Thanks for the replies :)
  • grace68
    grace68 Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    i had balcony boxes last year and started growing training rosemary, its only got to 1 1/2 ft in first year of growth, from plug plant, but might be worth a go.

grace
  • stumpycat
    stumpycat Posts: 597 Forumite
    edited 17 January 2016 at 6:00PM
    Options
    I had a honeysuckle growing in a window box in my flat in Edinburgh. It was lovely and seemed quite happy - it was in one of the more substantial window boxes.

I took it with me when we moved & planted it outside my front door - and it's HUGE! :)

eta. I tied heavy duty wire around the window box & screwed it to the sill, so it was secure.
  • hollydays
    Options
    Thanks , I'll think about honeysuckle too. It's an upstairs bedroom window in my house and frequently watering it isn't something I want to do .
    Thanks for all the suggestions
  • startled_cat
    Options
    Will get over a metre from some Indian mint.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure