🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Where to put £5,000

Options
I have £5,000 I can put away for five years but I can't find a bond that allows me to compound the interest each year - is anyone aware of any? I'd be grateful if you could point me towards one. I am a tax payer.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions
Sealed Pot Challenge no. 51

Comments

• le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Options
    Look in banner above for top savings accounts. Or google.
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you are a basic or advanced rate tax payer and £5,000 is your total savings, you won't need to pay tax on the interest from April onwards
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    5 years is borderline investment, rather than savings, isn't it...unless you're totally risk averse.

I'd go the current account route myself (4-5% AER), leaving myself the option of taking action should something better come along.

I certainly wouldn't be locking cash away for 5 years for circa 3%, whether compounded or not!
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cobweb18 wrote: »
    I have £5,000 I can put away for five years but I can't find a bond that allows me to compound the interest each year - is anyone aware of any?
    What's so wonderful about compounding?
    it's the total interest received over the term that's important, not how it was calculated.

Anyway, I'd take 5% instant access for now, and see what's around when either the rates rise generally, or the banks get tired of buying a customer base with unrealistic returns.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills