🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Shared ownership and housing benefit

Options
Apologies if this has been covered before, but has anyone got any knowledge on claiming housing benefit for a shared ownership property?
I'm about to leave my job and I own 35% of my property, paying rent on the remaining 65%
The online benefits checkers and the like don't include an option for shared owners!
Many thanks
Jan 20 - NST challenge
Jan 20 0%cc debt 7700/7700

Comments

  • Housing_Benefit_Officer
    Options
    You can claim Housing Benefit on the 65% rental liability. The bedroom tax does not apply to shared ownership properties.
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
  • GoingToDoIt
    Options
    Wow thanks for the quick response!
    Jan 20 - NST challenge
    Jan 20 0%cc debt 7700/7700
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards