Not ££ related?

Options
My husband and I use a wheelchair access vehicle, me in my chair at the back and my husband driving.

It is very difficult holding a conversation without shouting to each other because of the noise, is there any way of creating a handsfree device to make it easier to communicate?

Sorry if I have chosen the wrong board.

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes there is.

I'm not sure if you'd need two 'Listeners', each of you wearing headphones and talking into a microphone plugged into the other person's device. Or if one of you can hear the other, then just one device would do the job.

Setting it up might get fiddly, making sure you hadn't crossed wires if you need two devices. There probably are wireless devices available, obviously more expensive.

But I know they work because I used to use mine when I had to sit in the back seat and couldn't hear what DH was saying in the front, and my sister used to use her more expensive version because she couldn't hear a thing her DH said in the car!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • controversy
    Options
    sleepy14 wrote: »
    My husband and I use a wheelchair access vehicle, me in my chair at the back and my husband driving.

It is very difficult holding a conversation without shouting to each other because of the noise, is there any way of creating a handsfree device to make it easier to communicate?

Sorry if I have chosen the wrong board.

Cheapest way to do this is use a walky talky. The only complications would be if you have limb issues and your husband needing a hands free kit. However some walky talky's do include these kits.

Your best off to go to Your Able forum and talk too the guys and gals on the motoring section.

Here is a link.

http://www.youreable.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/5-Motoring-help-amp-advice-on-cars-for-disabled-people-Blue-Badge-and-Motability
  • sleepy14
    sleepy14 Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for your post. My husband wears hearing aids and still suffers with hearing loss. I struggle aswell so we would need something 2way if you know what I mean. Could you please tell me the name of the devices you mentioned and if possible a link?
  • sleepy14
    sleepy14 Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you I will look into the walky talkys. I have just joined and posted my question on Your Able, thanks for that.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If your DH has a hearing loss, and wears hearing aids, then I think it would be worth contacting Action on Hearing Loss and Connevans. AHL have a selection of 'listeners', I have the blue Sonido (other colours are available). If your DH has a loop or T setting on his hearing aid, he'd need a neckloop. If he likes to listen to the radio as he drives, it's probably more complicated! If you don't have hearing aids, you'd use headphones.

Both AHL and Connevans have a very good returns policy. If it doesn't work for you, there's usually not a problem returning it. They may also be able to suggest things I haven't thought of.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport