🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

inheritance and disability benefits

Options
2»

Comments

• controversy
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    Wow you've got to be kidding??? some people want everything!!! Makes me so mad too...........................

Some people have rich Mum's and Dad's get over it.

The best this OP can do is invest the money into a home which will help them and reduce their burden on the state.

This means no housing benefit will be paid out. Surely that would be the best course of action.

And the OP has just lost a family member. Be a bit more respectful.
  • controversy
    controversy Posts: 470 Forumite
    edited 10 January 2016 at 2:12PM
    Options
    Very likely to be considered as deprivation of capital.

Ye MissBiggles people on MSE tried that one on me and I got so winded up that I had to rush to the DWP to ring them and enquire if I broke the rules & regulations.

Guess what .........

Getting a Mortgage isn't deprivation of Capital. Making Over-payments on a Mortgage isn't deprivation of capital.

individuals who choose to use their savings to reduce or clear a debt (including debts not immediately repayable) will no longer be considered as having deliberately deprived themselves to maximise entitlement.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/216221/dh_125836.pdf

Also it would be kinda hypocritical for the Government to advertise Help to Buy mortgages, 95% guarantee Mortgages and HOLD ownership mortgages and then go back on their word and screw over disabled people who went for one of those products.
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Isn't that just concerning LA's charging for residential care ?

In full....

6.063 In Income Support, individuals must be treated as if they still possess capital in circumstances where they have deliberately deprived themselves of it in order to maximise their benefit entitlement. The National Assistance (Assessment of Resources) Regulations 1992 do not impose this and it is within the LA’s discretion to decide whether or not to treat the resident as still possessing the capital. Pension Credit specifies circumstances in which this does not apply.
    For example, individuals who choose to use their savings to reduce or clear a debt (including debts not immediately repayable) will no longer be considered as having deliberately deprived themselves to maximise entitlement. Pension Credit also has slightly different rules for what resources an individual may be assumed to have when they apply for benefits. The deprivation/resources on application “rules” within the residential care charging system are
    retained, in line with the rules for Income Support
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    NYM wrote: »
    Isn't that just concerning LA's charging for residential care ?

In full....

6.063 In Income Support, individuals must be treated as if they still possess capital in circumstances where they have deliberately deprived themselves of it in order to maximise their benefit entitlement. The National Assistance (Assessment of Resources) Regulations 1992 do not impose this and it is within the LA’s discretion to decide whether or not to treat the resident as still possessing the capital. Pension Credit specifies circumstances in which this does not apply.
    For example, individuals who choose to use their savings to reduce or clear a debt (including debts not immediately repayable) will no longer be considered as having deliberately deprived themselves to maximise entitlement. Pension Credit also has slightly different rules for what resources an individual may be assumed to have when they apply for benefits. The deprivation/resources on application “rules” within the residential care charging system are
    retained, in line with the rules for Income Support

The deprivation rules are relaxed for Pension Credit also, so those over pension age are allowed to pay down debts etc without it affecting their eligibility for benefits. As far as I am aware the same does not apply to working age claimants.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,952 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dave don't bother asking sensitive questions on this board because your get a lot of moody jealous people who will try and punish you
    for the wealth you've accumulated though labors, luck or entitlements.

There are a few ways to save money while receiving disability benefits which are within the rules and regulations of the benefits system.

Number 1. Put the money into a SIPP pension.

I personally wouldn't recommend this because the markets are going crazy at the moment.

Number 2. Buy property and use it as her only home. When your other half gets old enough she can simply sell that property. Pass the money to a nursing home in exchange for x number of years care.

I know how hard it is to be pressured and feel fear. Hopefully with this info your be safe.
    you really annoy me.
    you constantly spout on about being a scrounger and having more money that you need, then in the same breath say you support your 'disabled brothers and sisters' and now you're trying to help someone with a fraud.

do me a favour and just talk about your own warped view of things.

many disabled people struggle on a daily basis, and you are clearly not representative of any of them!
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ye MissBiggles people on MSE tried that one on me and I got so winded up that I had to rush to the DWP to ring them and enquire if I broke the rules & regulations.

Guess what .........

Getting a Mortgage isn't deprivation of Capital. Making Over-payments on a Mortgage isn't deprivation of capital.

individuals who choose to use their savings to reduce or clear a debt (including debts not immediately repayable) will no longer be considered as having deliberately deprived themselves to maximise entitlement.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/216221/dh_125836.pdf

Also it would be kinda hypocritical for the Government to advertise Help to Buy mortgages, 95% guarantee Mortgages and HOLD ownership mortgages and then go back on their word and screw over disabled people who went for one of those products.

A long term disabled MSE member inherited half a house a couple of years ago, while living in rented property, and was told quite definitely by the DWP that it would be considered deprivation of capital to buy herself a flat, despite the fact that she would be able to stop claiming HB. There were several threads on the topic as people tried to help her to do this but with no success.

Following your incorrect advice could leave a claimant in a dire position, with the capital spent and no income. It's totally irresponsible to misinform people just to make some kind of political point.:mad:
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    controversy is beginning to sound rather familiar. I'm not saying it's andyandflo but the contradictory, inflammatory nature of his posts? Hmmn ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport