VAT question.

Options
If you're buying a riser-recliner chair because you need it because of your disability can you get the chair VAT free?

Comments

• DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    JS477 wrote: »
    If you're buying a riser-recliner chair because you need it because of your disability can you get the chair VAT free?

See - https://www.gov.uk/financial-help-disabled/vat-relief - that is the word direclty from the government.
  • JS477
    JS477 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Options
    It appears that you can get VAT relief on a riser-recliner. :D
  • bigbulldog
    bigbulldog Posts: 632 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes you can as long as your registered disabled .:)
  • schrodie
    schrodie Posts: 8,410 Forumite
    Options
    bigbulldog wrote: »
    Yes you can as long as your registered disabled .:)

Out of interest how do you go about getting registered as disabled?
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    schrodie wrote: »

no idea as most authorities don't register the disabled any more apart from those with sensory impairment
  • schrodie
    schrodie Posts: 8,410 Forumite
    Options
    nannytone wrote: »
    no idea as most authorities don't register the disabled any more apart from those with sensory impairment

That's what I thought.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    riser-recliner will in almost all cases be VAT free, the clue is in the word riser. It is the case that the VAT must be discounted before purchase. Most retailers have an application claim form available, if the don't discount before purchase walk away from them and choose another.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • bigbulldog
    bigbulldog Posts: 632 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    schrodie wrote: »

You don't however you have to be in receipt of dla/pip.
  • freezspirit
    Options
    Check with the company what proof they want as in the past I've bought several products from different companies and its varied. Examples have been, copies of entitlement to benefit, blue badge, letter of registered disabled with local council, fill in an online form stating illness or disability declaration and one was to just tick a box to say disabled.

Might be worth contacting an occupational therapist as when my dad came out of hospital one visited dad and arranged an electric riser chair although it was potluck on the colour and design of fabric of the chair. To be honest dad didn't care he just wanted something that was easy to get on and out of and to be able to sit comfortably.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Doesn't it fall foul of
    Goods that are designed for use by disabled and non-disabled people alike can't be bought VAT free. Goods that are bought to be used by or that are mainly bought by disabled people can't be bought without VAT unless they're designed solely for use by disabled people.
    unless the model you are buying is specifically designed for the disabled.
    A riser-recliner bought from the likes of SCS etc wouldn't meet the requirements.

Just my thoughts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport