PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The Bookworm's Thread 2016

Options

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I read this today: short, but full of wisdom. 8/10

maya-angelou-a-letter-to-my-daughter.jpg
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    Oh, you are lucky, Jackie. No many want to come to North Wales. There is Gladfest, though. A literary festival in Gladstone's library in Hawarden.

But you're a reasonable travelling distance from Hay on Wye, which must be some compensation.:)
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Evening all

I'm still trying to find a reading group here - but they're all stubbornly full :(

Just finished
    The Marrying Game by Kate Saunders
    Quite a bulky chic-lit but most of it was enjoyable. As usual, some of it turns out rather predictably but that doesn't really detract. 7/10

Now reading
    No Name Lane by Howard Linskey
    Not read this author before. Quite enjoying it so far and finding the characters credible . Will let you know when finished.

Hope you all have a super weekend
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    But you're a reasonable travelling distance from Hay on Wye, which must be some compensation.:)

Indeed I visited there a couple of years ago and trawled around all of the gorgeous book shops there. I keep promising myself I will have a few days there as I only had an afternoon while passing through. If you're a booklover its the mecca of book places to visit :D:D
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    Indeed I visited there a couple of years ago and trawled around all of the gorgeous book shops there. I keep promising myself I will have a few days there as I only had an afternoon while passing through. If you're a booklover its the mecca of book places to visit :D:D

We used to go regularly when we lived in Shrewsbury although we never managed to make it to the Hay Festival.:(
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We're about 100 miles from Hay. Only made it once, although we intend to go almost every year. Most of the speakers I fancy are on in the evening and it would be a hard drive back, not on good roads.

I've been overwhelmed since returning from the States so missed the good speakers at Gladfest. Managed to get on a creative writing workshop soon, though.

I have read the Agatha Raisin: hated it at first as the characters are cliched and simplistic. Eventually I lightened up and took it as a relaxation between all the emptying of cupboards before the workmen arrive.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    I read this book this afternoon:

415T93G09HL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I found it incredibly touching, and compelling. The child psychologist showed remarkable restraint in the way she managed Dibs, and the approach worked. I was also stunned to see it was published over 50 years ago, it's a timeless book. 9/10

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I read this book this afternoon:

415T93G09HL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

How I envy you being able to read a whole book in an afternoon:T

I'm a fast reader myself but never seem to have more than an hour without major interruption.

I'm desperately trying to spend some quality time with Madame Tussaud before I forget what I've already read. I'll get that book finished if it kills me;)
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    How I envy you being able to read a whole book in an afternoon:T
    Well brace yourself, I read another one cover-to-cover this evening :p

51ivx2S2y4L.jpg

7/10, an easy read (although by no means an easy subject to write about). Thank heavens times have changed and women are no longer so dependent on men for their survival.

• Treasurequeen
    Options
    I am reading a really good book at the moment The colour of death by Michael cordy . Wow i just can't put it down for long. It's about a woman who uncovers a crime scene by sensing what happened. But the thing is she is hurt at one crime scene and when she wakes up she doesn't know who she is. Doctors around her think she's psychotic and needs to be locked up in a psychiatric hospital. But Jane doe can relive scenes of people's violent death, she is a psychic who is trying to prove who she is and stop a ruthless killer as well luckily with the help of her doctor Nathan fox who believes she has a gift.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport